Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importance of Position

Options
  • 05-12-2003 5:07pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

One of the most under utilised weapons in poker has to be Position. We all understand the importance of position but how often do we use it to our advantage.

The concept of Position relates to your position relative to the rest of the players. Since poker circulates the deal through the players, each hand in the dealing cycle puts you in a different position.

Your position in the hand should determine how you play your cards just as much as the cards themselves.

A7o in early position is a different kettle of fish to A7o in late position - especially if the table has checked/called or folded to you.

As a rule of thumb you should always play tighter in early position and a bit more aggressive in late position. The reasoning behind this has all to do with information. In early position you have no information about how the players behind you are going to bet etc. and therefore you are at a disadvantage.

In late position you have the info on them. They have shown their colors by betting before you and now you can use this information to your advantage.

Position becomes more crucial as the bets get larger. You dont want to be in the hand in early position when the bets are likely to be large especially if you have a marginal hand like A 10 etc - someone might re-raise you later and you are forced to lay down your hand.

In late position you can steal bets by playing aggressive when the betting has been weak up to you.

In short - be aware of your position and use the information this gives you to your advantage.

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I agree over all but its not something I'm ever really that conscious or concentrating on.
    Originally posted by Hyzepher
    Position becomes more crucial as the bets get larger. You dont want to be in the hand in early position when the bets are likely to be large especially if you have a marginal hand like A 10 etc - someone might re-raise you later and you are forced to lay down your hand.
    is an Ace-10 considered a marginal hand? I'd usually be going in fairly strong with that unless someone made a very strong opening bet indicating a good pair.
    Especially if I had a good position.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

To be honest position is very much under estimated and should be taken seriously if you want to hold onto those chips. In early position A 10 is a marginal hand for this reason - if a strong raise comes after you then you have to think that your 10 kicker is in serious trouble or that someone has AA, KK, QQ etc in which your 10 is useless and you only have 3 realistic outs.

To become good at this game position needs to be always foremost in your thoughts. Otherwise you will be calling in early position hoping to see the flop when someone raises you have just thrown money away

HyZepher

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

is an Ace-10 considered a marginal hand? I'd usually be going in fairly strong with that

I guess it depends on how many you're playing with,
    If it was down to 3 people i'd definitely be going in strong even in early position.
    But with 8 at the table forget about it.. check all the way.

Advertisement