Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

Options
  • 03-12-2003 2:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

friend of mine recently started talkin to me about helping him setup gigs for upcoming Irish hip hop acts and to assist them with distribution and as much as id like to help him i know jack about hip hop as my expertise in music lies elsewhere

anyway question is simple would you like to see a few nights around the country that showcases local talent a simple yes or no

thanks

wud u like to see the regular showcasing of local talent? 17 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yes if its a dj/mixing type thing, no if its some twat trying to rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I dunno, I mean if it were actual talent then maybe but, and I know you'll all beg to differ, but I think the Irish hip hop scene is utter shít. I mean I'll barely listen to some of the English stuff (Dizzee and Asher D rawk). I dunno how it could hurt but i voted no seeing as i cant see this really changing my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'd definitely go to some kind of turntablism comp, not too sure about rapping though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Kali would you ever cop on and quit putting a mainstream rap sucks cock Im so alternative theme into half your posts on this board? Some Irish rap is quite good lyrically and the beats arent bad. If you dont like it fair enough,but quit with the if you like any artists that get played on MTV Base during the daytime and manage to sell platinum albums you must be a complete rehab themes. Sure,there are some completely sh1t mainstream rappers who sell albums by the truckload but theres a huge amount of talent as well. Ive no problem with you listening to what you listen to,just quit making out that anybody who doesnt like it is some form of idiot.

Anyway,there already are occasional rap gigs in Dublin. Mate of mine goes quite regularly,Ill be going to one in the near future. Irish rap is becoming steadily more recognised and heard of thanks to sites such as irishhiphop.com and radio shows like the Big Smoke on 2FM. so it could be a nice little earner for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Kali

How the hell do you see that as a dig towards mainstream rap?
    Jesus, relax. Irish rap is pretty crap, hate to break it to you there Gopher but it is. However there are some very good turntablists and djs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

whoa.. ehh Makaveli hit it right on the head there, I'm talking about the Irish scene, you know the CONTEXT of this thread? not rap in general.. I've gone to countless hip-hop gigs in Dublin over the past 7 years and have a lot of respect for Irish DJs and know several hip-hop DJs personally but have yet to come across any coherent Irish MCs or rappers, I'm not doubting anybodys talents, at writing or their balls to do something they like, but I've always found that in a live setting (again the CONTEXT of this thread), as opposed to studio recordings, they are, without exception, dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

yeah so you nurture them and give them exposure and somewhere to get experience in front of a crowd - they improve and guess what, you've just nurtured a scene ina positive direction.... there'd be no hip hop at all if someone had just thrown a brick at the geezer from the sugar hill gang back in 79 shouting"stop talking on top the record it sounds wack"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

Amen, I'd like to see some Irish turntablists...oh, and just an idea, but maybe you could get some of Ireland's best graf writers to do some stuff live (while the DJs performing), kind of a Future Primitive thing? Ireland's got some brilliant writers and I think it would reprosent hip-hop really well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

not forgetting the breaking crews! a tour with all of that going around the big towns would be deadly... hope it goes well if you do it! Kormac and RRosco from www.basscape.com went around the country with a turntablism and drum and bass roadshow and that worked fairly well as far as i can recall... just a question of finding venues and djs who realise that people want to hear a few beats they can dance to not some wobbly three-click orbit w4nkfest all night long.... although if you put in a section with a dj battle that would be cool as.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by Kali
    whoa.. ehh Makaveli hit it right on the head there, I'm talking about the Irish scene, you know the CONTEXT of this thread? not rap in general.. I've gone to countless hip-hop gigs in Dublin over the past 7 years and have a lot of respect for Irish DJs and know several hip-hop DJs personally but have yet to come across any coherent Irish MCs or rappers, I'm not doubting anybodys talents, at writing or their balls to do something they like, but I've always found that in a live setting (again the CONTEXT of this thread), as opposed to studio recordings, they are, without exception, dire.

Lol that just wouldn't work, if they wanna be considered 'not shít' then they should prove to us that they're 'not shít' rather than us watch them and tell them they're 'not shít' when indeed they are 'shít' and maybe they'll turn 'not shít'...

• Advertisement
Advertisement