Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~FNAB Advance~

Options
  • 02-12-2003 7:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

About 6 months ago I was demonstrating the symptoms of having thyroid problems. Being a lab tech I immediately ran blood work on myself and YEP there I was a 23 year old showing signs of Hyperthyroidism.

Went to my doctor and he sends me for an ultrasound. A 3.5 cm mass shows up. Then on to have nuclear studies. There it showed a "cold" nodule. So off I then go to have a FNAB (Fine Needle Aspirated Biopsy).

Looking more into these FNAB's I have discovered there is a great deal more to learn about them. The assesment can be critical as passing a needle too deep or to superficially resulting in a failed procedure. With the help of the surgeon and an experienced pathologist the entire procedure can now be completed as an outpatient office visit. But, the negative aspirate...and the issue of the acutal stick with no pain meds to follow? It may not seem so bad to others but the thought of a 22-26 gaudge need entering my neck and then being pulled quickly out, the entire thing only lasting seconds. It terrified me. Thoughts like what if he knicks my vein or throat? Anyways...:rolleyes:

As The nodule was on my thyroid I was having a Radiological guided biopsy. This is what unnerves me. I go and no nodule is seen. It has just disappered. After keeping a check on my blood work once a month I am thinking the battle has been won by me. Do I speak to soon...Do more FNAB's follow???

Just thought I would share a lil insight into my demented lil lab rat mind because I have learned that these biopsies are being used more often, and are playing an important part in the pathologic diagnosis of mass lesions.

~DR~

Advertisement