Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Simmons

Options
  • 01-12-2003 1:28am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got his latest novel (Ilium) the other day, so far its excellent!

also got hyperion then, first of his excellent series of four

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Stake

Agree with you there mate. I posted up something here about Ilium a while back. It's a great book. I can't wait for the concluding book.
    If you are just reading the Hyperion novels for the first time you are in for a real treat. Definitely my favourite books ever. In particular the last one. If you don't cry at the finale to that you aren't human and your heart is made of stone!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

yeah, i cried at the end of rise of endymion before. had read endymion too. brilliant pair of books.

only reading hyperion and the fall of hyperion now. the library didnt have em a few years ago and i got them in the bookshop recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

have read hyperion and enjoyed it, i will pick up the other books in the series at some stage, i presume they carry on nicely?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"The fall of hyperion" is a must-read if you've read "hyperion". Must get round to reading Endymion and Rise of Endymion. Damn my reading-list is so big at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Just finished the "Endymion" omnibus, Wow!!!! possibly the best book i ever read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Stake wrote:
    I posted up something here about Ilium a while back. It's a great book. I can't wait for the concluding book.

The sequel (Olympos) was released last year. Cracking read.

No need to be "can't wait"-ing at all at all...

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Stake

bonkey wrote:
    The sequel (Olympos) was released last year. Cracking read.

No need to be "can't wait"-ing at all at all...

jc

If you'd bothered to check the date that I posted that message on, you would have seen that I wrote that about two years ago. I think i bought Olympos the day it came out and I loved it!

Wow... This thread has been alive a long time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i was kinda disappointed w/ olympos tbh.

the hyperion cantos is a tough series to live up to.

man i should really go reread them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Stake wrote:
    If you'd bothered to check the date that I posted that message on, you would have seen that I wrote that about two years ago.
    So you did.

I keep forgetting that people dig up multi-year-old threads to post something new to them...

My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I like the way the moravecs in "Olympos" are Trekkies. Best line in the whole book:
    "I always wondered if Spock and Kirk were having an inappropriate relationship"
    LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

YES! Dan Simmons is king!

Saw Ilium in Eason's last year, bought it, loved it, bought Olympos. Then I devoured Hyperion omnibus during my Leaving Cert exams (totally worth it though) and I'm about 100 pages away from the end of the Endymion omnibus. The Hyperion novels were better imo, but I can't wait to see how he wraps up the whole series with only 100 pages.

I'm thinking of buying Song of Kali next since it was released again not too long ago. Which would you recommend for my next Simmons book?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Read the Hyperion cantos (first 2 books), incredable read, very hard read, but incredable, the best use of politics within a story Ive read, and so well thought out.

I have the Endymion cantos there, but havent got around to reading it yet (when you start it, you can stop until you finish all 800 or so massive pages), but soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Man, the end of the Hyperion/Endymion series = :eek: Quite incredible

That's all I will say.

yeah, i read endymion books before the hyperion ones and they were brill, reread after readin hyperion and man i love simmons

(best off buyin some kleenex for the rise of endymion, i bawled my eyes out for hours)

Tree wrote:
    (best off buyin some kleenex for the rise of endymion, i bawled my eyes out for hours)

Heh was close to it myself. One of the best enidngs to a book ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I shall make this thread live again :D

I just finished Endymion there and im so pissed i dont have The Rise of Endymion to jump straight into even though its six in the morning and ive been up reading all night.
    I love Simmons so much for these books and feel like i shall read them every year for the rest of my life :cool:

I shall make this thread live again :D

I just finished Endymion there and im so pissed i dont have The Rise of Endymion to jump straight into even though its six in the morning and ive been up reading all night.

Ouch that would kill me. I finished endymion and then proceeded to read rise for the next 16 or so hours.

Went to easons at 9:00am, no dan simmons books :( now i have to wait three days for amazon... whitewhine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭sxt

These books sound intriguing, might pop into town and see if they are in chapters

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Read Hyperion Omnibus years ago, didn't think I'd get through it at first but once I got into it it was great, one of my favourite books ever. Read Endymion a few years late but didn't have Rise of..... got the Omnibus for a tenner in galway a while back so looking forward to finishing the series off, will probably have to read Endymion again to freshen my memory :o

So Illium and Olympos are worth getting too eh? Illium is a sci-fi version of The Illiad right?

• Advertisement

Pretty much theres space ships fighting gods at the battle of troy its fecking brilliant :cool:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty much theres space ships fighting gods at the battle of troy its fecking brilliant :cool:

Thats good enough for me!! :D

Advertisement