Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obie's Album

Options
  • 29-11-2003 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey just wonderin if any1 has or listened 2 obie trice's album 'Cheers' and what ye tink of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yeah i ordered it and was fairly disappointed, not near as funkeh as i hoped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Listening to it at the mo!
    I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

im gettin a bity sick of aftemath stuff its all becomin a bit to similar, nearly bad as the neptunes.

c once they get good at production they sell there skills and every chart topper buys so eventually the production loses its original wow facor at being different and just turns into trashy pop songs!

Neptunes > Aftermath

How can you say the neptunes stuff is samey!? They're the most versatile beat makers in the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Sorry Kold but I partially agree with BigO. Credit where its due,The Neptunes are good at producing pop music,but when it comes to rap theyre crap IMO. Fair is fair,when Justin Timberlake left his band everybody thought he was some kind of boyband castoff gimp and noone over 14 wanted to hear of him again. Now he has aquired a reputation like that of Michael Jackson-he is pure pop,but in general it isnt the type of sh1te that makes you want to get off your arse and swtich off the radio. Good production got him in that position. But apart from God Willin by Clipse,which actually had very good production by them but recieved no major attention over here anyway,theyre contributions to rap have been painfully bad. They just constantly use similiar sounding beats on every rap track they produce,and in most cases the beat is completely unsuitable for the rappers voice. Apart from the clipse album I could count on one hand the amount of neptunes produced rap I regard as decent. Got Your Money by ODB is great,but its about the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

deadly album.

Eminem is the best though. I mean he is like the creator. Im a massive fan of 50 Cent too. He is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The creator of what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The creator of what?

must.. not... flame...

if you think im talking about him being the creator of hip hop...thats not what i meant.

he is like the creator of Obie Trice.

The creator of Obie Trice, that's not really something to be proud of. :p

• Advertisement

Well I wish i was the creator of Obie Trice.

Well maybe if you had bumped into his mom 20 something years ago you might have been.

*titter* Ronaldo7, do u wear a baseball cap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Well maybe if you had bumped into his mom 20 something years ago you might have been.

:D

Originally posted by Kold
    *titter* Ronaldo7, do u wear a baseball cap?

Nope...they make you go bald. But i do wear bandanas occassionally...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Eminem didn't create anyone.

50 cent is a former crack dealer, teenage girl raper, ja rule fearing, arse with a bad name in new york, who em decided he could make a quick million off because he has half decaint flow, he's lyrics are so bad Ja rule beat him in a freestyle battle (and thats pretty bad, I'd top myself if i claimed to be a rapper and then got murdered in a club by Jeffer Atkins).
    He was stabed by a member of murder inc called ferrari balck because he was trying to sell herion in his neibhourhood, and he ran to to the police, he was shot because he was peddling to kids, not because he is a good mc, and he was signed because he had a name, not because he had skill.

Now for g-unit, they have less skill than 50, and are basically hios version of d12, there for thje ride till he gets bored.

Obie has been trashing everyone (including Eminem) on the Boston freestyle scene for the last 5-7 years, he has skill, but the album was a letdown because it was produced to bits and eminem picked all the tracks for comercial reason rather than skill reasons.

The only people on Aftermath/Shady records with even a little skill besides Obie is Busta Rhymes.

Eminem is only famous because he is white.
    He is an avrage rapper, no better than the likes of Joe Budden or Xibit.

Rakim, Nas and Jay-Z have infinitely more talent than him.

Oh and as for Dre, he isn't a real MC, he doesn't write any of his stuff.
    Heck of a good producer though and he deserves respect for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Seaneh seems to have a bit of an anti shady recrds chip in the shoulder.
    Jay Z better than Eminem? Nas is a lyricist of roughly equal skill. Jay Z is hugely overrated,his lyrics are nowehere near as good as the pair of them. You cant deny that Eminem is one of the most skilled rappers in years just because a huge portion of his fans are 12 year olds who have heard a few singles and who think Eminem is mad cool because he swears,Nirvana are mad cool because Kurt Cobain killed himself and Tupac is great because he got shot.
    The Boston freestyle scene? Eminem and Obie are from Detroit and IIRC they only met when one of Obies mates in D12 introduced them in the late 90s.

As for D12 if you ignore the hilarious,but lets face it lyrically useless raps by Bizarre,D12 have some good talent. Swift is a class lyricist IMO anyway,and most of the rest arent bad. And anyway,nearly every major rapper in the game has a group that,once they get famous and get a bit of cash,they "go back"for. 50 has G Unit,Eminem has D12,Tupac had the Outlawz,Nas the Bravehearts,Busta and Flipmode Squad the list goes on. Nothing wrong with helping out your old mates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Detroit, good point there, wasn't thinking as I was talking.
    I know Eminem is a "Good" rapper, but he is hardly magical, and Jay-Z is over rated, I don't even like him, but his flow is still great, and he can constantly make decaint albums.
    The thing is, Eminem would be nobody if he was black, I would be another rapper that a few harcore fans knew about in the states and no-one in europe would ever hear about him unless they read The Source or XXL, he'd be another nearly-man, like Canibus or Guru from GangStar.
    He isn't part of the elite, he doesn't deserve to be, most of his songs rely on thier beat, and that came from Dre, not Eminem.
    Ok, besides Bizare, D12 aint bad, but they would never be big, and they still never will.
    G-Unit have no excuse, d-twizzy and the other fool have very little talent, d-twizzy has more skill than 50 IMO, but still doesnt have enough to make it without Eminem's millions of endorsement.
    The only reason 50 is big, is the same reason Mase and A1 were big a few years ago, He has a brand name behind him, Mase and A1 had Puffy making thier beats and funding thier PA, 50 and G-Unit have Dre/Eminem + Snoop, Nate Dog, Xibit and a lot more promoting thier stuff and making them look credible, just like A1 and Mase had the whole bad boy crew pushing them.

And maybe Eminem and Obie didnt "know" each other, that doesnt mean obie didnt beat him in battles, Eric Schrody (Everlast) was beating a lot of good MC's in LA in the mid-late eighties but no one knew him untill Ice-T pulcked him from obscurity and gave him a name and street cred.

Eminem is no better and no worse than Obie, the only diferince is that Eminems lyrics are more aggressive, more angry, obie is generally positive, but at the same time he isnt all "look at me, my diamond is the size of luxumberg, and i have 5000000000 bitches".

I'm rambling now...
    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is this.
    50 = nothing
    g-unit = nothing
    eminem = avrage
    Obie = avrage
    Dre = bad MC/Legend in the lab.
    D12 = nothing.

And about the other stuff, most rappers who help thier groups out, usually just drag the group with them, and without that certain rapper the group is nothing, bravehearts are nothing without Nas, flipmode are nothing without Busta, D12 are nothing without Eminem, NWA were nothing without Cube and EZ-E, the list goes on.
    It's a brand, not a talent (99% of the time).

bah too much to type...i aint arsed.

Eminem is no average mc. If he was black he wouldnt have sold half as much. He said that himself. He aint trying to be a gangster either. He is an amazing mc and his lyrics are the best i have ever heard. He is a witty, sharp mc and he is a legend.

50 Cent is a brilliant MC in my opinion. As for the rest of that ****, would you mind providing links to where it says everything you have just regurgitated?

G Unit have far more potential than D12 in my opinion. They are a much better group and i love their voices. They are brilliant. Swifty from D12 is hot though and a couple others in there do have serious potential...Bizarre on the other hand is a cack of ****. I am only saying that cos of what he raps about, like on that song Drips on the Eminem Show - cant listen to it. heard it once and hated it. He is a real filthy **** in terms of what he rap sabotu and i dont like him for that. Having said all that, he is a decent mc.

Busta Rhymes is a legend as well. I love this guy.

obie is also brilliant in my opinion. he aint no Eminem but he is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

He is an amazing mc
    *nods*
    his lyrics are the best i have ever heard
    *collapses on the floor laughing.

Let's face it, the Eminem Show is a shambles of a c.d.
    Without Dr.Dre doing the beats, Eminem trys his hand and ends up with some serious tripe for lack a better word.
    His lyrics in that album are f'in brutal compared to what he's capable of (Slim Shady LP).

He was one of the wittiest emcees out there, no doubting that, and the guy was one of the tightest battle MC's around at the time.

But now?
    Listen to the Slim Shady LP, then compare it to the Eminem Show. There's a huge gap in between them lyrically.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Slim Shady LP is one of the wittiest, cleverest and funny Hip Hop albums out there (Dr.Dre on the production helps too) but now?
    Bah, he began loosing it on the Marshell LP, and just...fell off with the Eminem Show.

As for Fifty...
    50 Cent relies on having gotten shot nine times.
    It's a nifty little promotional tool in a world where being "real" is such a big thing.
    "Look, hes been shot nine times! So this guy must know what he's rapping about!"

I'd except that happily.
    If he could figure out how to put together decent lyrics, which he can't and never will. He just doesn't have that in him.
    Sure he can rap about shooting people, being shot at and bit*hs but can he actually rap about anything else?

Go buy some Notourious B.I.G , MF Grimm or Eazy E if you really want to hear real lyricist's talking about shooting people, and doing it well at the same time (somethin' all to rare these days...).

*rant mode: Off*

• Advertisement

*collapses on the floor laughing.

Dont mock me cos you dont agree with me. Its about personal taste. To each their own...ever heard that before?

Its my opinion.
    If he could figure out how to put together decent lyrics, which he can't and never will. He just doesn't have that in him. Sure he can rap about shooting people, being shot at and bit*hs but can he actually rap about anything else?

he writes about what happened to him. He writes about what he has experienced. He writes about what has inspired him along the way. He is a gangster rapper. he raps about things that are gangster. He has a life and a half to back it all up too. Most the **** BIG(who i also think is brilliant) is about that ****, shooting, bitches and money etc..." i love it when you giggle and your ass would wiggle". Who gives a **** what its about? If it inspires you as a rapper then why not? If people enjoy it even more...double browny points. Your a hypocrit saying has he got nothing else to rap about than mentioning BIG in the line thereafter...what are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

To each their own...

I prefer to say each to their own...but i suppose that's just my styleee.

Ok.. Erm, you're quoting all this as fact but I dunno... Tbh I just can't agree with you on this. Eminem is a fantastic lyricist, I rarely listen to much of his stuff but I can appreciate that he is **** hot. 50 is decent, Get rich was a heap of sh1t but I can definitely listen to some of the mixtapes that have been released. Nas and Xzibit are IMO amongst the best lyricists out there. D-12? Well they've got skillz but more than that, they're good showmen. They're music is entertaining, nothing wrong with appreciating something even if it doesn't take lyricism to a whole new level.

50 isn't defined by the fact that he got shot, however it is a topic... I mean, Tupac mentioned it in a lot of his raps, it's a life altering thing, why NOT mention it? It doesn't take from the fact that he HAS got skills. I'd much rather listen to 50's sh1t rather than listen to Jay chatting his bull**** or Ja rapping bout love and being a thug and how he wishes he was tupac over 5000 tracks.

Your a hypocrit saying has he got nothing else to rap about than mentioning BIG in the line thereafter...what are you on?

Read the post.
    Go buy some Notourious B.I.G , MF Grimm or Eazy E if you really want to hear real lyricist's talking about shooting people, and doing it well at the same time

I never said it was particularly intelligent music (with the exception of MF Doom). I was merely making a suggestion to you about music that has some originality about it, unlike 50's.
    You can't possibly say that what 50's saying hasn't been said a hundred times before, by better lyricists.

The real tradegy about it all to me is that there's emcees out there a hundred times hotter then him making no money because people like 50 place this image on Hip Hop that all its about is "bitches", shooting people and chronic when its not.
    So all that people ever hear of is that typical stereotype, and thus anyone who raps "gangsta" and has a remote link to the "streets" is guarenteed to sell a few thousand copies of what they produce, even if the lyrics are carbon copies of sh!t NWA were saying fifteen years ago.

The fact is, people like 50 add nothing to Hip Hop as a culture. All they do is keep it static. He doesn't push boundaries, he doesn't push the limits of lyrics and nor does he anyway flow like any of the greats.
    Who gives a **** what its about?
    Listen to any *great* music.
    From Marley to Dylan to Rakim, they all had one thing in common.
    Their music had meaning.

What does 50's have?
    Shooting, bitches and chronic.
    There's no real meaning to it, nothing that you as a person can take away from it and say
    "Holy sh!t! That cat's speaking Truth."

My point is, there's plenty of emcees out there who've gone through things like 50 and worse.
    Check out MF Grimm, guy got shot ten times with high caliber and from a closer range, became paralysed, lost his hearing and his eyesight and was told he'd never regain any of them.

But he regained his sight, hearing and feeling in his upper body.
    He was then chucked into a jail for several years on a bull sh!t narcotics charge.

And yeah, he's rapped about that and other stuff from his past but he does it in a way that pushes the boundaries of "Gangsta" rap.
    He uses clever methaphors, freakish flows and beats.
    And nor does he glorify sh!t like that, like 50 does, he tells the truth and rather then saying "shooting people and dealin' is what gangsta's do" he says "shooting people and dealin' is what idiots do"
    Check out WWIII for a serious display of flow or Life and Death for a display of intelligent hip hop.

MURS said it best:
    Like the radio songs that make us sing along
    'Cause the beat is real heavy and the hook is real catchy
    Make you nod your head steady, and you don't feel sketchy
    'Til you're all by yourself, and you ridin' around
    And realize to yourself how stupid it sounds
    Mainstream or Underground, away team, home town
    It boils down to the facts: Wack is wack.

Bull****.

Who cares what anyone raps about? If its good, its good. If it gives inspiration to people...brilliant. If people just like it...then so be it. The stereostype of hip hop believe it or not is mostly ghetto because thats what gives rappers inspiration. There writing poetry/rhymes/random sentences about what has made them who they are.

I think 50 Cent is a brilliant MC. His underground tapes are **** hot and i love his voice. I cant relate to selling crack on the streets or what its like to have your mother shot in front of you at 9 years old for failing to pay her dealer. I listen to it cos its catchy, hes funny, and his rhymes are entertaining. Im fascinated by what he has experienced and i want to hear what he has to say. Same with any other rapper. And thats why i and millions of other people out there like 50 Cent and eminem and tupac and BIG and Busta Rhymes and xzibit and DMX etc etc etc...

Nothing to do with jumping on the bandwagon for most people out there anyway, its about wanting to listen to what someone has to say backed up with some beats and sound effects to go with it.

Who cares what anyone raps about?
    Uh, the general point about music is that it means something.
    If someone just shouts into a microphone for three minutes, you'd hardly consider it music now would you?
    its about wanting to listen to what someone has to say backed up with some beats and sound effects to go with it.
    That's my point.

He has nothing to say.
    If someone can point me to at least rap in which he says something that doesn't involve guns, bitches or chronic please do and maybe I'll reconsider.
    Nothing to do with jumping on the bandwagon for most people out there anyway
    Bull.
    Name five credible underground emcees.

Jah, Busta, DMX, Nelly, Eminem, Tupac etc are the bandwagon.

It's not like I actually care what you listen to, I'm just pointing out that 50 is one of the most undeserving emcees out there at the moment, just behind Nelly and Jah.

Originally posted by Cannibal Ox
    Uh, the general point about music is that it means something.
    If someone just shouts into a microphone for three minutes, you'd hardly consider it music now would you?

That's my point.

He has nothing to say.
    If someone can point me to at least rap in which he says something that doesn't involve guns, bitches or chronic please do and maybe I'll reconsider.

Bull.
    Name five credible underground emcees.

Jah, Busta, DMX, Nelly, Eminem, Tupac etc are the bandwagon.

It's not like I actually care what you listen to, I'm just pointing out that 50 is one of the most undeserving emcees out there at the moment, just behind Nelly and Jah.

Your pissing me off now. Are you not listening to anything i am saying?

ITS ABOUT WHAT GIVES THEM INSPIRATION.

Im fascinated by what he has experienced .

Thats the key word. Thats what he has experienced and thats what he writes about. Its his life.

He writes about what has inspired him along the way. He is a gangster rapper. he raps about things that are gangster. He has a life and a half to back it all up too. - i wrote this a few posts below already. Thats what he writes about. If you dont like him, dont listen to him.
    I'm just pointing out that 50 is one of the most undeserving emcees out there at the moment, just behind Nelly and Jah.
    ye all in your opinion, which luckily has no influence on the real world or the hip hop situation. I like him. Millions others do too. Enough said.

ye all in your opinion, which luckily has no influence on the real world or the hip hop situation. I like him. Millions others do too. Enough said.

Which is kind of the point being made. Millions like him, when in fact he is shit and a lot more deserving artists get ignored.

he aint shít but he's by no means groundbreaking

• Advertisement

when in fact he is **** and a lot more deserving artists get ignored.

But he is not ****.... In your opinion he is ****...enough said? Who are you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement