Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom customer survey for entry into mobile phone market

Options
  • 29-11-2003 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

eircom are definitely taking seriously entering the mobile phone market.

I'm just off the phone, after about a 10 minute survey all about how I would respond if eircom entered the mobile phone market.

Although they didn't mention the survey was being done for eircom until about halfway through - clever people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

What kind of questions did they ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

A lot of questions.

How much I spend on my mobile bill each month, would I like single billing for my mobile and landline.

Other things like do you think eircom mobile customer support would be good? (hah - we both had a laugh at that one)

What's more important to you
    - coverage
    - cost
    - mobile phone deals

How likely are you to switch to eircom if they were 10% cheaper, 20% cheaper and 30% cheaper?

And more I can't remember.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How likely are you to switch to eircom if they were 10% cheaper, 20% cheaper and 30% cheaper?

Eh how likely are they to actually be cheaper ?

And given the way they've upped line rental etc. and held back broadband for years, they would want to be a lot cheaper before anyone would consider it - in fact they would probably get more customers if they didn't let people know it was the same company...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by nahdoic
    I wouldn't take it off them if it was free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by nahdoic
    would I like single billing for my mobile and landline.
    Ever wonder why eircom have prevented other telcos from providing single billing for line rental? (As far as I'm ware, it's still not available, 6 months after everyones phone bill was increased by over 8% to pay for it!)

Start the mail-in campaign now, folks! Eircom must not be allowed to introduce single billing for landline and mobile until they have successfully implemented single billing for other telcos.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    [Eh how likely are they to actually be cheaper ?
    Very likely. One of the reasons why Irish mobile charges are so high is because eircom charge Vodafone, 02 and Orange for "terminating" calls from mobiles. "eircom mobile" will effectively get that service for free (or as little as they need to pay to undercut everyone else).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But will they pass that saving on to the customer and of course they will have to fear the wrath of comerg if they charge less for themselves than for others..

Wrath of Comreg - sounds like a Star Trek film - imagine being attacked by a tribble... :eek:

But will they pass that saving on to the customer
    If they think it'll help them destroy everuone else in the market they will.
    and of course they will have to fear the wrath of comerg if they charge less for themselves than for others..
    I think you forgot a smiley. eircom have never concerned themselves about the wrath of comreg before, they're not likely to start now.

Fair enough - mobile operators here have such high margins that there could be serious price drops..
    But will people trust them to not jack up the price again later.

But how to let the great unwashed realise it is all a scam how many times have eircom sold out or been sold out - too many people got burned by the shares - too many people being screwed for internet access.

PLEASE NTL - offer telephony over cable - I'd rather you have my €22.50 a month..

Reminder to self - change name to Captain Cynical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

There doesn't seem to be much evidence of prices coming down through competition between the existing firms. I don't think they regard the Irish consumer as particularly price-sensitive so they tend to compete through advertising and services rather than prices. Or else they have a cartel.

So I think when Eircom enter the market they will be doing the same thing with the advantage they have of single billing and a well-known brand name. They will also be forced to rely on wholesale rates from existing mobile companies as they won't be running their own mobile network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

There are two main possible outcomes, as I see it, to the (re)entry of Eircom. Firstly as suggested above a cosy cartel will ensue and the customer will continue to get screwed as usual.

Secondly Eircom compete on price to gain market share and spark a price war. However if they do have to rely on another operator to provide the infrastructre then their ability to do that will be limited. The way around this would be to purchase Meteor and build up that network.

I'd think the first option is the more likely and this brings us back to Comreg. The new boss Mr D. will have an opportunity (with the enhanced regulatory reigme which is due to come online) to show that Comreg have the b*lls to face up to Eircom and the other telecos and force real competition. Will this happen ? Not likely given the murmers about a lighter regulator environment which have been emanating from Comreg over the past few weeks.

In summary we're likely to see a continued fleecing of the 'talkative' Irish consumer and Comreg bleating from the sidelines but achieving f*ck all in real terms.

Just my 2c

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

But will they pass that saving on to the customer and of course they will have to fear the wrath of comerg if they charge less for themselves than for others..

Wrath of Comreg - sounds like a Star Trek film - imagine being attacked by a tribble... :eek:

Wrath of Comreg - Fanboy Fantasy, it'll never happen!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

None of the GSM operators are obliged to sell airtime to eircom Mobile, AFAIK. If they do they will surely have a proviso that terminating call charges are reduced / eliminated. The GSM operators will then pass on the savings to the customer hence removing this advantage from eircom.

Only H3g will be obliged to sell airtime to an MVNO on their 3G network

Advertisement