Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's premium rate Tech Support number..

Options
  • 28-11-2003 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭

I complained to Comreg about this and got the following reply today:#
    Dear Mr .*.

I would like to acknowledge your e mail dated the 20th of November regarding eircoms technical support line and the charges that are incurred on this line.

I must advise you that this is a contractual matter and the premium rate number they have applied to this package is a part of the terms and conditions of that package.

ComReg are currently investigating this issue with eircom. I will contact you when there is any update on this issue.

Best Regards

Mary Quinn
    ComReg

hmm, where's that T&C form gone to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Did you mention that all repair calls, including lightning damage or dug up lines and other non DSL problems must also be reported to the 1550 number and that 1901 refuse to talk to you once you have DSL ?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

hmm, I didnt realise the premium number included non-Dsl problems. I did not include that in my email to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Krouc

The rule is that when someone comes in on the 1550 number it’s answered as follows:

"This call is charged at 74cent a minute, this is Biddy speaking, how can I help you?"

The 74cent bit is the most important bit, they actually monitor for it. Slaps on the wrist for those who don’t state it. I would assume because they have told you at the start of the call you have no comeback.

But if you weren’t told this when you got through.... and ended up with an incompetent Biddymuppet who kept you on for longer than you had to be.

Were you put on hold at any time?

K

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Krouc
    "This call is charged at 74cent a minute, this is Biddy speaking, how can I help you?"

Bleeding Ada - that's the price of a local call already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

The rule is that when someone comes in on the 1550 number it’s answered as follows:

But if you weren’t told this when you got through.... and ended up with an incompetent Biddymuppet who kept you on for longer than you had to be.

Were you put on hold at any time?

K
    My understanding is that dsl support is provided mainly by temp agency/contract staff in eircomnet- not "biddys" as you put it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

In fairness, the people on the end od the 1550 number do seem to know what they're doing, although I still strongly object to paying 74c/min.

One little detail that I find strange. One of their authentication questions is to ask what my password is.

In my organisation, IT support are not allowed ask that question, and users are specifically instructed not to give their passwords to anyone. It's the most basic of IT security measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Krouc

My understanding is that dsl support is provided mainly by temp agency/contract staff in eircomnet- not "biddys" as you put it

Not true. They have been hiring people and they have been hired on contract, usually six months but they are often hired by Eircom if they are up to the job. The DSl people are the folks that have been there for a while (Experience) and are Eircom staff. The contract poeple end up on the dialup support. Chances are good you'll get a "biddy" as I put it.
    One little detail that I find strange. One of their authentication questions is to ask what my password is.

Not much of a problem if they can see your password in clear text. odd system all the same.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not true. They have been hiring people and they have been hired on contract, usually six months but they are often hired by Eircom if they are up to the job. The DSl people are the folks that have been there for a while (Experience) and are Eircom staff. The contract poeple end up on the dialup support. Chances are good you'll get a "biddy" as I put it.
    Nope.
    By January, all new contractors, as well as eircom staff (usually contractors who have been offered a full contract), will be doing DSL tech support. Any 'biddies' that are still left at this point will soon be moved to corporate support (yes, the cheap number). :)
    Not much of a problem if they can see your password in clear text. odd system all the same.
    Yep. First point of authentication is the password. If they don't know the password, it moves onto security questions (Father's name, mother's maiden name, etc etc). Tis a strange system. If someone gets a hold of the password, they can essentially hijack an account (although this may vary from tech to tech obviously, depending on who's bored/eager enough to ask more questions), change password, security questions etc. without having to know any other info about the victim...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by seamus
    Any 'biddies' that are still left at this point will soon be moved to corporate support (yes, the cheap number). :)
    That local rate number for DSL Support doesn't get you through to Corporate Support, they're a different bunch of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Originally posted by ando
    I complained to Comreg about this and got the following reply today:

Me too and I got the exact same email from Ms. Quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ando
    I complained to Comreg about this and got the following reply today:#
    hmm, where's that T&C form gone to?
    Did you find it yet?

I'm sure it says that support for DSL is a premium rate number. But unless it specifically says that all 1901 calls for problems with your voice service will also be handled at 74c/minute, get straight back on to Comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

There's another support number, from my reading of it the 1550 number is for installation related queries only..
    I rang the DSL sales number to get my username/password, I wasn't going to pay 74c a minute to get that info off them, much as they'd like me to!

I had one issue with my DSL being logged in at the 'authentication server' for some reason. But anyhow I rang the following number and it was sorted in about 2 minutes. the number is 1890 260 260.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I can understand them charging whatever for people who have a problem that is not Eircom's fault, such as trying to setup the self install kit when they don't know how (Shouda' paid for Installation!). However charging us for problems at their end (such as not being able to log in because their server thinks you're already logged in) is ridiculous. We phoned their Customer Support after such an incident and expressed this view; they refunded the cost of the premium rate call. So if you have a problem that ain't yours, phone up and demand a refund, they'll eventually learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I called the number yesterday for a problem with the netopia, caused the problem myself, trying to setup a 'pinhole' with NAT on it, when the modem restarted, it wouldn't connect.

So I decide to call 'the number' and see what they can do, maybe get some advice on trying to make my software work through the in-built NAT.

After the 'this call costs 74c a minute' thing, explaining my problem in quite a techy, straightforward manner and handing over my phone number, all I got was this...

Him: "We don't support the hardware"

Me: "What? Even though you (eircom) supplied it to me?

Him: "That's correct"

Me: "You don't support the hardware you supplied, the hardware that has the logo of your company right there on the box?" (eircom must have gotton a packaging deal from netopia, all their modems have the eircom logo printed on the box)

Him: "No, you'll have to contact Netopia"

Me: "Ok, thanks" *hang up*

Me (to no-one): "AHHHHHHHH **** *** eircom with your ******* in the ****** donkey ******* ****** ***hole with the tail shoved up your ********, bástards."

Just writing about it is making me angry with them, unfortunatly, they are still the big boys, holding the country's communications infrastructure to ransom, €54 a month, 4c per Mb and 74c a minute.

Interesting that they don't support the hardware they supply tho.

Any 'broadband starter pack' should be available and affordable for people on the dole, imo. Maybe Charlie McCreevy will up the social welfare payments later today by €54 a month. :)

Luc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was given 1890 260 260 as well. However they keep referring the problem back to me because "the line tests fine", even though there is audible - loud - noise on the line. I'm going to create such a fuss with these arrogant tossers if they don't shape up soon, including taking them to small claims for €1,269.74.

adam

Advertisement