Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Ahern Appoints New Chairman To ComReg

Options
  • 27-11-2003 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Dermot Ahern Appoints New Chairman To ComReg

Dublin, Thursday, 27th November, 2003
    Dermot Ahern T.D., Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources today announced the appointment of John Doherty as Chairperson of the Commission for Communications Regulation with effect from 1 December 2003.

Mr. Doherty has served as a ComReg Commissioner since its establishment in December 2002. He brings to the post many years of relevant experience, including Head of Market Operations in the ODTR (forerunner to ComReg) and Head of New Business Development in IDA Ireland.

The Chairperson of the Commission is appointed for a one year term and Mr Doherty will succeed Ms Etain Doyle, the current Chair and former Director of Telecommunications Regulation. The other member of the Commission is Ms. Isolde Goggin.

Mr. Doherty’s Chairmanship of the Commission will coincide with a period of review and significant development in the sector, including:

the introduction of flat rate internet access packages
    mobile number portability
    the new regulatory framework for the communications industry.
    The Minister said that he looks forward to working with the ComReg team in continuing to develop the communications sector.

Ends

For further information, please contact:

Richard Moore

Press Advisor

Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources

Leeson Lane

Dublin 2

Tel: +353-(01) - 678-2440

Fax: +353-(01) - 676-6161

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by query
    Dermot Ahern T.D., Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources today announced the appointment of John Doherty as Chairperson of the Commission for Communications Regulation with effect from 1 December 2003.
    Hopefully he has some balls and will give €ircon a kick in theirs. Alas poor Etain lacking the relevant physiological parts thought that she better act like she didnt have them either.....

I hope a proper focus on the new wireless holders will be high on his agenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Odd that they don't make any reference at all to commencing recruitment of a new (third) member of the Commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

that will be Adam, they told me I wasn't qualified <sniffle>

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Muck
    that will be Adam, they told me I wasn't qualified <sniffle>

M

Uhm Muck dearie, I think they meant OVER-qualified. Adam won't get it either. People with a clue need not apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Bye bye Etain, dont let the door hit your worthless ass on the way out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It musta been Etains last 'executive' act , dictating the PFO letter to me on Monday.

It read (in part)

"Dear Madam.

It is the profoundly , deeply, held belief of this commission that you are entirely lacking in the requisite qualifications and experience to be a productive, active and contributing member of the Commission"

The rest of it was hurtful, totally uncalled for in my opinion and not in the least true. It pains me too much to bear thinking of some of the things they said about me.

<sob><hOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWLLLLLLLllll>

M

Muck, copy this letter and send it to them:

http://www.jkador.com/letter.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was in the middle of my letter of application for the chair of the commission when I had second thoughts and decided that I should make it my business to seek out someone more qualified for the job. So I tossed my letter aside and hunted the country, nay the world, for that single person with all the skills needed to replace Etain Doyle at the helm of Comreg. I search high and low, and eventually I found that person not in a telecommunications company, or in another regulatory body, but in the Guinness Book of Records! I haven't finished my letter of recommendation yet, but here's what I have so far...
    John Doherty
    Commission for Communications Regulation
    Block DEF, Abbey Court
    Irish Life Centre
    Lower Abbey Street
    Dublin 1

Dear Mr Doherty,

I would like to nominate Arulanantham Suresh Joachim to replace Etain Doyle as Chairperson of the Commission.

I’m not sure if Arulanantham has any qualifications or experience in the telecommunications industry, or regulatory environments for that matter, however as the world record holder for standing still, I’m absolutely certain that Arulanantham will be appreciably more successful than Etain Doyle at regulating the Irish comms markets. Consider these examples:
    • Simply by standing still, Arulanantham would have been able to retain the universal obligation for data transfer speeds at a measly, pathetic level, instead of the nonexistent level Etain Doyle dropped on Irish consumers.
    • By remaining reticent, Arulanantham would have been able to stall Partial Private Circuits far, far longer, instead of toadying up to Eircom and letting through the bizarre pricing scheme’s Doyle signed off on.
    [...]
    Good to hear that John's been appointed chair of the commission, he's got a lot to live up to. Sorry, a little. He's got very little to live up to. Yeah, that's it. Perhaps Arulanantham could take his place now? How about an inanimate carbon rod?*

*This isn't meant as a poke. I don't know much about Mr. Doherty, except for an unconfirmed suggestion that he's effectively been doing Doylers job for the last six months, while she searches high and low for a job. If that's the case, except for a minor peak at the start of the year, I'm not impressed.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Those inanimate carbon rods are certainly ones to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mmmm, it's always the quiet ones. They look like they're doing nothing and then you turn around and they suddenly have your daughter pregnant, bank account drained and the USO minimum data transfer rate dumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I don't think you're being fair to Arulanantham. He also holds the world record for distance brick carrying. Whereas Etain is very good at not carrying anything heavy unless given a direct mandate from the government. And even then bricks always seemed to get lost along the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Arulanantham is also the world record holder for jumping on one leg. First to come up with a joke about that wins a choccy biccy!

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Arulanantham is also the world record holder for jumping on one leg. First to come up with a joke about that wins a choccy biccy!

One leg too many really, the key tot he job was justifying something when they had no leg to stand on yet still did it. Sorry, thats my attempt. I'm off chocolate anyway.

Advertisement