Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming voyager

Options
  • 26-11-2003 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

This always bugged me about voyager especially when i was reading thing related to it.

Why it we called the enterprise "the enterprise", while we call voyager "voyager" not "the voyager".

i read one of the voyager books ages ago and it used the voyager but it just felt weird.

Whats up with that? Why would use The in front of most starships names but not voyager?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Because THE voyager sounds stupid
    and THE enterprise soons cool or the Defiant the Phoneix etc etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah it does sound stupid, weird instead i'm trying to think of some other name that doesn't sound good with a THE infront of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

In about the second episode of Voyager (the one about finding coffee), Paris said "the Voyager". Clearly they realised how stupid it did sound and never refered to it with the "the" again...

Reason it sounds so stupid is probably 'cause it has an actual meaning. As in something that voyages. When you say "the Voyager" is sounds as if you're refering to what it is rather than it's name. (ie. Enterprise is clearly the name of the ship.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

The Voyager sounds like some sort of purv lurking about your house looking in your underware drawers lol

so basically its rick bermans fault for naming the whole bloody series wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

every thing bad in the world is Bermans fault

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe because the Enterprise and the Hood and the Bismarck are named for something, Voyager isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

or because when referring to the ship as an object 'the' is used.

voyager
    "we got to get back to the voyager"
    enterprise
    "ill blow up the enterprise"

better sentance structure i suppose

yeah but i can't seem to find a context in which 'the voyager' seems right i don't think it sounds right in your sentence above better i think is we've got to get back to voyager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

"the DS9?" "the station"

• Advertisement

i'd say got back to DS9, but i'd got back to the station

Advertisement