Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting Smoking

Options
  • 26-11-2003 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hey my mate and i that i live with at college are after really getting sick of smoking and are serious about quitting. At the moment im on about 10 silk cut ultra a day which are very light but i want to give them up altogether.

We are considering going to one of them hypnotist people but i was at an 'Adrian Knight' show before and i was up for hypnotisim but to be honest it didnt really work, i mean i did all the stuff he was telling me to do like pretending i was walking a dog and all but i really only did it for the laugh. Does this mean then that it would be pointless going to one of those people for help? Am i destined for a life of blackened lungs, completly unfit and the possibilty of a stroke? And good advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

You could go see Derrin Brown and ask him to shoot you in the head maybe ?

or, if you really want to quit but need help, then go to a hynotherapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

or you could forget the the hypno crud and just use old fashoned willpower

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Next Tuesday I'm giving up cigarettes. On Monday I'll be smoking as normal... on Tuesday I'll stop... no patches, no gum, no hypnotherapy, no cutting down to a lighter brand,... just stop.

Cold turkey. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

best of luck bard.

i quit cold turkey once. was difficult but it worked. stress (and stupidity) got me back on em. was off them for almost a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I was going to leave it til the pub ban came in, but I think I'm gonna try quitting now. Havent had one in nearly 2 weeks, don't miss the stinkin things, but unfortunately I'm going to a birthday piss-up in town on Saturday all day so I'll probly be forced to smoke tons of the yokes. Ah well. I can always give up after Saturday...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Cold turkey. If you want to do it, you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah just go cold turkey umm cold turkey and stuffing and ham sandwich ahhh /*me drools*/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Big Eyes

I was off the smokes for 2 years, up until the summer. Then I though, my level of coolness was declining at a rapid rate. I tried other methods, like wearing sun glasses and baseball caps backwards, but it didn't work, too 1992. So I realised the only way to regain some street rep was to start smoking again. And it worked.. for a while, then I realised people where just hanging around with me to be seen. I felt so shallow.
    Also I restarted on the auld ciggerettes b'cause I gave up on MaryJane. Now every time I have a smoke I find myself clearing my throat for about 10 minutes. It's disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

Ah yeah???? coolness????? what sort of.....no no came down!!!!!
    i smoke, and i doesnt make oyu cool!
    good lord god!!!

just stop! thats it, you ll only be able to do it if you really want it!
    or ALLEN CARR sbook is ment to excelllent, my da red it and has smoke in3 months!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Big Eyes

Originally posted by Manticore
    Ah yeah???? coolness????? what sort of.....no no came down!!!!!
    i smoke, and i doesnt make oyu cool!
    good lord god!!!

just stop! thats it, you ll only be able to do it if you really want it!
    or ALLEN CARR sbook is ment to excelllent, my da red it and has smoke in3 months!!!

Does that post make sense?? ''my da red it and has smoke in3 months'' What?
    Also, it's calm, not came. And I was joking. Are you a student?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yea, cold turkey, you get these crazy tingles up and down your legs after a day or so, its mad

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Allen Carr book was a great help, no cold turkey, off the filthy things for 2 months now, used to be on 20 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Originally posted by Bard
    Next Tuesday I'm giving up cigarettes. On Monday I'll be smoking as normal... on Tuesday I'll stop... no patches, no gum, no hypnotherapy, no cutting down to a lighter brand,... just stop.

Cold turkey. Works for me.

Fair play bard good luck with it i say!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

I'm not going to say theres a right way or a wrong day to give up but I'll give you my story.

I gave up five weeks ago, smoked 20 a day Silk Cut Purple, I went on 10mg patches for a week and then stopped them, now if and when I get a craving I get just have a chewing gum (Just a normal chewing gum).
    You do turn into a nasty snarling bast*rd without the nicotine for a while so be prepared to apolagise and swallow your pride.
    A good thing to do if you are serious about giving up is let absolutely everyone you know know your giving up that way starting to smoke again will carry the weight of shame this can be surprisingly effective.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

That's grand... people are used to me being a nasty snarly bastard anyway :)

heh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SeeYouJimmy

i was fortunate enough in april to sail on the jeanie johnston from tenerife to america, and the best advice i can give is this,

1) go to tenerife

2)stock up on cheap fags, (about 1000should do the trick)

3) get yourself a boat and sail to america

4) throw all your fags overboard

it worked for me although it was a pretty expensive way to give up the cancer sticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

what a waste of money

Advertisement