Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesia

Options
  • 26-11-2003 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭

My boyfriend and I were discussing the topic of amnesia last night, and we came to the conclusion that we were going to have to find out more about it.

Are there different types of amnesia? In other words, can it be graded according to the amount of memory loss experienced?

If the memory loss is severe, for example, you have no idea who you are, can personality and physical traits such as fidgeting or an accent still manifest themselves. I reckon that they could as they are more reflex actions than concious actions.

What if a person was higly skilled, something like a concert pianist, where they would have spent years training? If they developed amnesia, would they still know how to play the piano. because of all the conditioning they had received?

I'd be very grateful if someone could give me some more information here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by dudara
    My boyfriend and I were discussing the topic of amnesia last night, and we came to the conclusion that we were going to have to find out more about it.

Ack, you picked a very comlex thing to be curious about :(
    Are there different types of amnesia? In other words, can it be graded according to the amount of memory loss experienced?

Yes and sort of.

There are quite a few classes of amnesia and they are generally classified on the actual nature of the effect on the brain (trauma/stroke etc). However, because the nature of memory is not well understood and its a very hazy area to diagnose you get alot of mix ups in classifications.

If the memory loss is severe, for example, you have no idea who you are, can personality and physical traits such as fidgeting or an accent still manifest themselves. I reckon that they could as they are more reflex actions than concious actions.

Yes, because different parts of the brain are at work and typically its just one area degraded.

What if a person was higly skilled, something like a concert pianist, where they would have spent years training? If they developed amnesia, would they still know how to play the piano. because of all the conditioning they had received?.

I think i t depends on the nature of the amnesia

I'd be very grateful if someone could give me some more information here.

I'm actually meeting a neurologist at the weekend. I'll ask for an overview. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Much appreciated, and hopefully you'll have some more info for me as well.

Advertisement