Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric acoustic guitar..

Options
  • 25-11-2003 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

i like the idea of being able to fiddle about with the sound of an acoustic guitar (through pedals, computers etc..) .. so i think its time to get some new equipment for the guitar..
    do i need to buy an electric acoustic guitar or is it possible to attach 'something' onto an ordinary acoustic guitar?
    if so, are they expensive? and the amps.. ?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

So basically, you want to be able to plug your guitar in? Then you'll be requiring some sort of Pickup. As for amps, you're probably looking at about the €500 mark or so. Fender make some very decent acoustic amps. Although I'm more of a leccie player so maybe some of the acoustic players here may be able to advise you more on different pickups and such.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Go for a Fishman Natural 2 pickup. Best bridge pickup around for the money.
    If you're feeling adventurous, you could also get a condensor mic for the sound hole, and have two outputs, then you could effect one, and maintain a clean acoustic sound at the same time.

Don't bother with an acoustic amp, never really saw the point.
    If you're gonna be playing live, you'll be plugging into a pa, not an amp.

My advice, save your money and buy an Avalon acoustic, fitted with a Fishman pickup.

For under a grand, you'll have a korean made (incredible build quality) Lowden essentially. Beautiful guitars. I've a Northern Ireland made Lowden, and I'm thinking of picking up an avalon as a second live guitar.

Acoustic amp: €500
    Good pickup: at least €150

The bottom of the range Avalon starts at €700 w/o a pickup I think.
    Worth the extra bit of saving.
    Go in to Musicians Inc. and try one out.
    You'll see what I mean.

Advertisement