Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling problem

Options
  • 25-11-2003 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I'm currently in the process of tiling my bathroom but have run into somewhat of a problem. I've tiled around the window, well 3 sides, but the problem is with the underside at the top. I put the tiles up and propped them up with lats of timber to hold them in place until they set. I removed the lats the following day and lo and behold, the tiles hadn't set and came down. What can I do to make them set. The house is pretty old, and the walls aren't the straightest specimens you've ever seen.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Are you using a special bonding agent and is the surface roughed up for a good key????:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Leave timber in place for longer and try to introduce some heating / ventilation to allow the adhesive dry. Indeed make sure the background is dry itself (window head can often be sources of damp and cold penetration - no innuendo meant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Richieh

Originally posted by Victor
    Leave timber in place for longer and try to introduce some heating / ventilation to allow the adhesive dry. Indeed make sure the background is dry itself (window head can often be sources of damp and cold penetration - no innuendo meant).

When the tiles came down, the adhesive had well dryed. I think the problem I have is that the underside of the wall is very crooked, so short of putting up a very large bed of adhesive (which the tile won't bond to) it doesn't appear that I'm going to be able to keep them up there. Worst case scenario, the boss will probably cover it with a drape of some sort (you know the way women can hide things!!!). I appreciate your comments, and Greenmans too, but I have to live with the fact that I'm not, and never will be a succesful DIY enthusiast!!!

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try hilti nailing some expanded metal lathing to the soffit and then fix the tiles. Or try!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭joto

Solution,Don't tile it - Paint it!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement