Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours (lack of) drain damaging my property

Options
  • 25-11-2003 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a question. When I moved into my new house (which is a terraced house close to the cc), one of the first things I did was completely strip the plaster and cement from the Kitchen wall closest to the party wall. It was completely damp from above i.e. we are not talking rising damp here. The leak was somewhere on the wall and the water was coming in there. So I recemented and replastered this part of the wall.

We also plugged any holes we could find outside. The only other thing left to do was ask my neighbour to put the drain up on their side. This drain is *really* close to the dividing wall and has not been connected to the gutter since I moved in about a year ago.

Since there is a gaping hole in the gutter, when it rains a stream of water flows down my side usually (even though the drain is on her side). The new plaster (getting old now) I put up in the kitchen is not drying as a result or drying really slowly. This is putting back my plans to repaint etc..

Sooooooo, basically I asked her about 7 weeks ago to put the drain up on her side. I offered to pay half of any expenses and to loan them (she has a boyfriend) my ladder. They were very positive about it and said it would be done next day. Well, nothing happened for 6 weeks so last week I called in again and asked her if she could put the drain up and explained that I suspected it was not helping my kitchen wall. She said no problem, that they had tried to put it up and could not and needed a new pipe.

So, to the question:

Do I have any legal rights here ?

How long should I wait before asking her a THIRD time to put the drain up ?

If she does nothing after asking her for the THIRD time to do it, what should I do ?

At all times I was non-confrontational and was nice when asking etc...so they have no reason, other than ego, to be offended by my requests.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

why not do it yourself, rather than go down the legal route?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

I am going to offer to do it myself but I mean come on, where do you draw the line ? A person is responsible for their own property, end of story. They are not old dears, they are a young couple.

The plan is to wait a week and then offer to do it. But I think people can be too accommadating sometimes. I mean, what happens if she turns down my offer !?!

Advertisement