Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tournament

Options
  • 25-11-2003 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

so lads, now we got the board, whos going to organise the texas hold 'em multi table tourney???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Real life or online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

thats the thing. I suppose an online one might be easier, but ppl might be worried about the money aspect.

Prefer a big offline multi table myself, in a swanky hotel. ...but thats not going to happen.

Someone take charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

What somebody *could* do is organise a poker classic.
    Legally you can't gamble in Ireland so it would have to be called a charity poker event or some such.

Everyone pays a tenner/twenty in, then prizes are given and any profit is given to a charity or Dev's OAP fund or something.

But it would take a fair bit of organising, renting function room with full bar (probably not essential but fun), then setting up tables, packs of cards, chips (which are bloody expensive).

The www.poker.ie lads did it in Bray Sailing Club (full bar) for 42 people and it was a great night.

Only other option is some crazy sod with a big enough gaff for a couple of tables inviting a load of people from the internet to drink and gamble in his place. Not likely.

Maybe we should all gatecrash the Meriion Hotel poker night sometime, anyone got more info on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KevinR

The Fitzwilliam club do a 20euro no-limit hold'em game on Sundays & Wednesdays.

http://www.fitzwilliamcardclub.com/tournaments.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

http://www.fitzwilliamcardclub.com/p_functions.aspx

That looks pretty good. I wonder how much it costs and most importantly can you have pints?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

a big hold em tourney would be deadly, organise it for somewhere in dublin some w/e night, 20 quid in or somethin, would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KevinR

Originally posted by DapperGent
    http://www.fitzwilliamcardclub.com/p_functions.aspx

That looks pretty good. I wonder how much it costs and most importantly can you have pints?

unfortunately there is a no-alcohol policy in the club and they are not even keen on admitting people who have a had a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

unfortunate bout not being able to drink in that place, however that should not be an obstacle to finding some other place that we can drink in!!! and also gamble of course... and thats where the trick is

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

Anyone know a pub with like
    a function room upstairs
    that would turn a blind eye to it????

If it took off it (please, please... etc)
    it could be a weekly/monthly event
    and on an obscure night could generate some
    good revenue for the pub!!!

Someone out there's uncle must own a bar or something.

Even those old youth-club type community halls somewhere might
    be worth investigating...?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

im well up for a bit of a poker night though it may be a bit difficult getting a pub for it though the charity idea could well be a runner.

If i can think of a likely venue i shall be right back here with the info. Im thinking of one pub in particular with a room upstairs which you enter from a different door than the pub so it might be a runner, ill pop in and have a word with the barman and see what the story might be. Though its not that big a room upstairs so im not sure how many it would hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

count me in if its at the weekend, im based in limerick....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Does anyone have a good set of chips?

I've considered splashing for some in the past but they're a tad expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Hi all

I would be willing to host a night in my house. I have a dining area with a table that comfortably seats 6 people for food. I also have 2 other rooms with enough room for 2 or maybe 3 tables. Unfortunatly I do not have an extra 2 or 3 tables and the required chairs.

On the subject of cards and chips, a percentage of the entrance fee could go towards a "club kit" of chips and cards.

I live in Cabinteely, it is a bit outside the city but it is fairly well serviced by public transport.

What do you all think?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

ive got 2 sets of chips.
    should cover at least 10 - 15 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

no offence to you mr pudding, but i dont think i'd play in some random blokes house. Just be worried about arguements/fights over rules - things like the kicker and split pot etc.

An organised event would be much better.

Perhaps a local hall or or something could be got.

I've been thrown out of pubs for playing cards, we weren't even gambling...

I lack the time and will power to organise it but I'd definately play in a boards tourney if one got going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I see your point dangerman but arguments could happen over rules etc where ever it was held. I think what poker.ie do is very good. Post the rules in advance and make it clear that that is how things are going to be. That will need to be done whether the venue is some random blokes house, jurys in ballsbridge or some dodgy back room.

Anyway tournament or not I would really like to host a poker night for a laugh, I have a few mates who would be interested, would anyone else be?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by MrPudding
    I see your point dangerman but arguments could happen over rules etc where ever it was held. I think what poker.ie do is very good. Post the rules in advance and make it clear that that is how things are going to be. That will need to be done whether the venue is some random blokes house, jurys in ballsbridge or some dodgy back room.

Anyway tournament or not I would really like to host a poker night for a laugh, I have a few mates who would be interested, would anyone else be?

MrP

I live just up the road from you in Deansgrange, and I've had a poker night or two at the house just for mates.
    A table is full when you get seven at it, so with the amount of Boards heads interested plus a few of your own mates you'd be needing room/cards/chips/monopoly money for about 15-20 I'd say.

A boards tournament would be a bollix to organise, I might have a think about doing it after christmas though. Wouldn't be able to splash out for chips for those attending, but would see to organising tables, cards, rules, in a venue where we could drink, either a pub/function room or somewhere to at least bring cans.

Advertisement