Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV pull support newsgroup

Options
  • 25-11-2003 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I see that UTV have pulled their support newsgroup. Fed up of negagtive comments on clicksliver?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I use UTV Quicksilver. The price is right but the service is sh*te.

I have had to set my "try to connect" to 25 times. Even then multiple
    attempts of 25 are necessary. What a drag.
    Its almost impossible to get onto the system during the day.
    I don't even bother trying to get on at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Clicksilver is the broadband product Hagar, I reckon you're thinking of UTVip. For what it's worth, I use Clicksilver and aside from the shaping/throttling issue at the start - which, unlike some, I think was likely an unfortunate error - it's worked fine for me. No complaints here at all. Pulling the support newsgroup seems an odd action, did they actually say they were pulling it or has it just disappeared?

(By the way, I used UTVip for a good few months too and I very rarely had connection problems. I also used UTV's "free dialup" for at least a couple of years with very few problems.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

So after getting all the boards people to go over to UTV, they have now withdrawn any help they once previously had, well done UTV.

Thank god I'm getting rid of them any day now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I told you RADSL would suck, hard.

Its still all fncked in this telco market. Thanks Etain, thanks for jack-sh|t.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Clicksilver is the broadband product Hagar, I reckon you're thinking of UTVip. For what it's worth, I use Clicksilver and aside from the shaping/throttling issue at the start - which, unlike some, I think was likely an unfortunate error - it's worked fine for me. No complaints here at all. Pulling the support newsgroup seems an odd action, did they actually say they were pulling it or has it just disappeared?

(By the way, I used UTVip for a good few months too and I very rarely had connection problems. I also used UTV's "free dialup" for at least a couple of years with very few problems.)

adam

The group just dissappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Krouc

Fed up of negagtive comments on clicksliver?
    That was probably the case alright. A lot of people ranting. I wont miss it due to the fact that the negative stuff even drove me away. If I remember correctly the last time I was at eircoms one it had about 3 posts and never took off (maybe it has since). It was good to start with but just got out of hand. And maybe it was due to the fact that they didnt have the resources to maintain it. A lot of people were complaining about the responce times to emails sent to support so maybe that will improve if they aint on the newsgroup.

With locall Tech-support people can still rant but to them in person and not on a public forum. Company image and all.

Intresting to see what they say about it being pulled/vanishing.
    I reckon you're thinking of UTVip.
    I would think the same. I got Clicksilver a while ago now and have not had one problem. The only outage I had (and it effected all of the town and more) was last week when some muppet dug cables up in Blanchardstown. Compared to the service I had and the cost of it, Clicksliver is a huge improvement.
    I told you RADSL would suck, hard.
    With the experience and such of having a broadband connection in the US I would agree with this but this isnt the US and its going to take MORE TIME it seems.

Krouc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    The group just dissappeared.
    Seems a bit of a kneejerk to assume it was pulled so. Perhaps someone should do the courtesy of asking them. And if they have, of course we'll expect UTV to do the courtesy of explaining.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Seems a bit of a kneejerk to assume it was pulled so. Perhaps someone should do the courtesy of asking them. And if they have, of course we'll expect UTV to do the courtesy of explaining.

adam

And has now reappeared. No explanation given.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    And has now reappeared. No explanation given.

Maybe, just *MAYBE* they were doing work on their usenet servers?

Why must you all be SUCH HOSERS!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Giblet
    So after getting all the boards people to go over to UTV, they have now withdrawn any help they once previously had, well done UTV.
    They "pulled" the email and (local rate) phone support as well?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    They "pulled" the email and (local rate) phone support as well?

No, they haven't. The original poster was overreacting because the news server was down for 2 hours!!!

Originally posted by eth0_
    No, they haven't. The original poster was overreacting because the news server was down for 2 hours!!!
    I know, I was being ironic! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Why must you all be SUCH HOSERS!
    What have Canadians got to do with this?

From utv.support:
    >Key Key N82944 email=newsmaster@beltel.co.uk, temporary licence expired
    >mon nov 24 2003 ;

It seems that UTV use nntp server software that runs on a time limited
    license, it probably requires regular payments to the company producing
    the software, if the license isn't renewed on time the server software
    stops working and produces the above error message.

Yeah that happened once before.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That happens with our NNTP server too from time to time. RADSL still sucks hard!

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    That happens with our NNTP server too from time to time. RADSL still sucks hard!

DeV.
    What's RADSL got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh really they have support on phones now, well maybe if I got a response other than."Theres nothing we can do about that" I'd be happier, oh well, screw em, I'm ringing em up and telling them were they can stick their "service"

Amazing how such a great idea for a rollover service never works properly on ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

int main()
    {
    	Original_poster == muppet;
    	return 0;
    }

Note: Trying to compile this code will result in errors...

/me goes off to make a new "Overreaction" card for The Gathering....

:ninja:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement