Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social Welfare Bonus Payments

• 24-11-2003 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

"The Minister for Social and Family affairs Mary Caughlan has announced that the social welfare Christmas bonus will be paid next week. The bonus will be double that of normal weekly payment and is estimated to cost €115 million. The minister today has also reminded pensioners to collect their Christmas double payment next week from post offices."

Any chance those ba*tards would give the normal, tax-paying workers in this country a christmas bonus? Maybe a week off tax or something.

C*nts.

Caimin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Do Civil servants get a 100 percent bonus. will be lucky to get a 30 euro shopping voucher frum the bloodsuckers i work for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Don't worry about it fcdunne, just relax and think of all the Sunny D and Smokes that will be under the trees of Welfareland, courtesy of your tax euros.

Gives you a warm glow, eh?

NOT

c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Smurfette

I agree with giving one parent families or the childrens allowance an extra payment as obviously they will have a lot of extra costs as will all families but wouldn't like the kids to suffer but as for dole collectors thats just disgraceful I don't get a Christmas bonus in my job and still probably have more expenses than that lot with having to pay tax childcare, mortgages need I go on !!!

Smurfette - No, you needn't go on, because we all share your pain. I'm not against single parent familes getting extra cash - or maybe vouchers - but it pisses me off so much that in this country, the less you do, the more you get.

Whats the point?

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by caimin
    just relax and think of all the Sunny D and Smokes that will be under the trees of Welfareland, courtesy of your tax euros

you are a moron

• Advertisement

I certainly can't argue with your logic, pal. Well thought out argument.

Caimin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Originally posted by fcddunne
    Do Civil servants get a 100 percent bonus. will be lucky to get a 30 euro shopping voucher frum the bloodsuckers i work for

No they do not - actually they don't get anything so quit complaining about your €30 shopping voucher :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Do you have any idea how hard it is to live on 124 quid a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

very hard!had the same problem when i did my apprentice ship 106 euro's per week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Sarky
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to live on 124 quid a week?

I'd imagine it's really hard.
    Which is why I have a job.

Sure, some people genuinely can't work for some reason or another and I have no problem helping them, especially coming up to Christmas.
    But those who get €124 a week and smoke 20 Johnny Blues a day (which equals about €41 a week, one third of their income) annoy me.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying don't give 'em the bonus. I'm saying why can't the workers have a bonus too? The Gov. are obviously saying "we know you need extra money at Christmas, but if you're working, you can either borrow it or use your credit card or something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by Kananga
    I'd imagine it's really hard.
    Which is why I have a job.

Try telling that to all the people up here in Donegal who got shafted by the likes of Fruit of the Loom & co. who decided to feck off to Morocco and the likes.

And Caiman, yes, I agree - anybody earning €124.80 a week is well entitled to a bonus at Christmas.*

Oh, and before anybody says I'm on the dole, I'm not :)

*As long as they're living on it, not living off their parents/partner etc.

Originally posted by Lukin Black
    Try telling that to all the people up here in Donegal who got shafted by the likes of Fruit of the Loom & co. who decided to feck off to Morocco and the likes.

which is why, if you had continued to read past the first sentence, you would have seen
    Sure, some people genuinely can't work for some reason or another and I have no problem helping them, especially coming up to Christmas.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Lukin Black
    And Caiman, yes, I agree - anybody earning €124.80 a week is well entitled to a bonus at Christmas.
    Although if you're sitting around doing nothing, you're hardly EARNING anything since EARNING implies a reward for some accomplishment!

I'll probably get a voucher for Xmas...
    quote:
    Originally posted by fcddunne

No they do not - actually they don't get anything so quit complaining about your €30 shopping voucher

Eh they're getting an often unwarranted pay rise courtesy of the tax payer next year so let's not quit complaining and in fact complain some more :mad:

Lets all start a campaign. Either the Government give us a tax-break for the week of Christmas, or we all jack our jobs in and they *have* to give us the bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Originally posted by ixoy
    Although if you're sitting around doing nothing, you're hardly EARNING anything since EARNING implies a reward for some accomplishment!

I'll probably get a voucher for Xmas...

Eh they're getting an often unwarranted pay rise courtesy of the tax payer next year so let's not quit complaining and in fact complain some more :mad:

You might use the work 'unwarranted', some would use the word 'justified' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,524 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ixoy
    First off "unwarranted pay rise" is completely unfair, the Christmas bonus is paid most (but not every) year, so there is no rise. Secondly, someone getting unemployment benefit and getting rent allowance is no better off after last year’s budget (unemployment benefit went up, but rent allowance went down). Thirdly, most of the people receiving these "bonus" payments have contributed to the Social Welfare Fund which is where this money comes from - not your precious taxes. Fourthly, why are you attacking the poor people instead of the tax cheats who take a lot more from the state than welfare cheats?

This is just another rant against people who can't defend themselves.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Victor
    First off "unwarranted pay rise" is completely unfair, the Christmas bonus is paid most (but not every) year, so there is no rise. Secondly, someone getting unemployment benefit and getting rent allowance is no better off after last year’s budget (unemployment benefit went up, but rent allowance went down). Thirdly, most of the people receiving these "bonus" payments have contributed to the Social Welfare Fund which is where this money comes from - not your precious taxes. Fourthly, why are you attacking the poor people instead of the tax cheats who take a lot more from the state than welfare cheats?

This is just another rant against people who can't defend themselves.

Victor the pay rise thing was meant to be against civil servants not social welfare people. Shouldn't have mixed the two in the same post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

"The bonus will be double that of normal weekly payment..."
    It was my understanding that the bonus is /equal to/ the normal weekly payment. In other words, the payment next week will be €249.60.

If the bonus was double that of normal weekly payment the payment next week would be €374.40

Am I wrong?

caimin, where did you get your quote? It's usual to provide a link.
    Originally posted by sceptre
    It was my understanding that the bonus is /equal to/ the normal weekly payment. In other words, the payment next week will be €249.60.

If the bonus was double that of normal weekly payment the payment next week would be €374.40
    Stupid journalist. I remember I story from the 1970s where the Indo claimed something dropped 118% (something can't drop more than 100%)

http://www.welfare.ie/press/pr03/pr261003.html
    There had been rumours that the bonus would be axed or trimmed back this year, however I want to again confirm that the full 100 per cent payment will be made again this year. The double social welfare payment will be paid in the first week of December and will benefit some 805,000 recipients and an estimated 421,000 dependents.
    It is equal to one week's extra payment.
    The double social welfare payment will be paid in the first week of December and will benefit some 805,000 recipients and an estimated 421,000 dependents.
    This means that nearly a thrid of the population will benefit, not some minority group of scroungers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Problem with your job and not getting a bonus? Well then Píss off and get a different/better job. Or go on the dole like all those "Lucky" people.

Jesus, is anyone ever happy?!

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The people who are getting 124 euro per week on the Social are receiving Unemployment Benefit. Thats different entirely to Unemployment Assistance.

Those on UB are on this scheme because, in the previous tax year, they have worked 39 or more weeks in the year and paid PRSI contributions in each of those weeks. PRSI is something we all pay in the event that in the future we are unemployed. So, in effect, they are paying their own benefit. The implication that they are a load of spongers or whatever is just completely incorrect.

The people on UA - well the majority of people on UA are genuinely unable to work for one reason or another. The spongers of which ye speak are in actuality a tiny minority.

If people read my post, I actually said I have no problem with people on Social Welfare getting extra money - or preferrably vouchers - at Christmas. My sole point is that if its good enough for people on welfare, why isn't it good enough for the tax-payers? We are letting the tail wag the dog.

>I'm not against single parent familes getting extra cash - or maybe vouchers -

>I'm not saying don't give 'em the bonus. I'm saying why can't the workers have a >bonus too? The Gov. are obviously saying "we know you need extra money at >Christmas, but if you're working, you can either borrow it or use your credit card or >something."

My sole point is that if its good enough for people on welfare, why isn't it good enough for the tax-payers? We are letting the tail wag the dog.
    Because social welfare is a poverty level payment. If you are working, you are unlikely to be in poverty.

The only difference is (most) social welfare recipients get an asymmetrical (i.e. not the same through the year) but general small and fixed payment. Workers get a bigger payment depending on how much they work.

Adding a tax break for December, would mean all the rich people would only earn money (and not pay tax) in December.

And why should social welfare recipients be labbled as such with vouchers? Forgive me but I'm about to say "nanny state".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If people read my post, I actually said I have no problem with people on Social Welfare getting extra money

so why throw them all under the same tree with this:
    Sunny D and Smokes that will be under the trees of Welfareland, courtesy of your tax euros.

Welfareland???? you'd swear that people prefer to be on welfare the way you go on about it. a bonus!!!!!!! oh my, much better than working than a proper wage. get over it!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    Welfareland???? you'd swear that people prefer to be on welfare the way you go on about it. a bonus!!!!!!! oh my, much better than working than a proper wage. get over it!!!!!!!!

Well, as an article in today's Independant shows, some people on welfare have no desire or intention to work for their living.
    They're better off leeching from the rest of us.

"SOME jobless people are getting so much in state benefits they would need salaries of €35,000-€40,000 a year to make it worth their while to work.

This is revealed in a report which calls for a removal of 'unemployment traps' and other disincentives in large households to take up work.

The Irish Labour Market Review 2003 which will be released at a Fas organised conference tomorrow says a review has shown that a significant number of jobless face serious barriers to taking up employment.

The review was conducted among jobless contacted by Fas as part of its Employment Action Plan. In one location in Dublin it was estimated that a quarter faced unemployment traps.

"These persons were in receipt of large levels of social welfare payments, rent allowances and, in some cases, other secondary benefits," says the report.

"It was estimated that they would have to earn gross incomes in the range of €35,000-€40,000 per annum to make work worthwhile - a level way above their likely earning power."

The report discloses that the employment rate of lone parents is only 45pc. It says the current long term provision of benefits to lone parents (until children are 18-22 years at maximum) with no requirement to be available for or seeking work, has probably been a major reason for this low rate.

The long periods lone parents spend outside the labour market can result in their skills becoming outdated and can lead to some children growing up in poor and jobless conditions.

The report calls for greater commitment to flexible, family friendly working arrangements, such as part time or teleworking, combined with adequate childcare provision. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, as an article in today's Independant shows, some people on welfare have no desire or intention to work for their living.

Some. Note the use of the word some. Small minority might be more to the point.

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Some. Note the use of the word some. Small minority might be more to the point.

Well it's hardly all people on social welfare now is it?
    I don't believe anyone here has tarred all those on social welfare with the same brush.
    You may like to believe so to further your own arguments but nobody has said anything like that.

A small minority maybe but I think you would need statistics before you can say "might be more to the point"
    You're dead right. It might, or might not be a small minority. Without further evidence you couldn't say anymore than "some".

Advertisement