Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New WISP in N Leinster / S Ulster

Options
  • 24-11-2003 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

They are called Net1.ie and have a website Here . The intend to do all of north leinster and south east ulster starting with ARDEE .

Net1 did not get the recent 3.5Ghz licences so they are probably running on a mixture of 5.8Ghz and/or 2.4Ghz wireless. Ardee should also have Wireless Internet services from Net2Cell Digiweb and IBB as well in the near future. I am Delighted to see such interest in Ardee as it means there is hope for the rest fo us as well.

Unlike the longer established and more expensive Digiweb we see that Net1 understand the importance of quoting VAT in their residential prices...the cheapest of which is €35 a month which is a hell of a lot less than Digiweb.

€47 gets you 578/128 with no cap (allegedly). I have no idea what the contention is but it couldnt be worse than Eircom ....surely ?!

I am quite happy to shamelessly plug any ISP who starts their pricing under €40 a month, gwan Net1 .

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Did you see what they charge for setup? 349 euros... And 249 euros for their 47 euro/month package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

€250-€350 is normal enough for a WISP in Ireland at the Moment. The only competition they have is from Digiweb who charge €242 install and then charge €54 a month for their capped 512k service.

Wireless Installs will always be more of a palaver in terms of CPE installation and costs than wired (xDSL) installs.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Did you see what they charge for setup? 349 euros... And 249 euros for their 47 euro/month package.

The Non WIFi kit costs well over 400 Euro for most systems and you still have to pay someone to go around and install it.
    I for one think it is much better to have at least some of the CPE costs up front.

.Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Most of the Wireless ISPs started with install fees of that order (IrishWISP are currently €259, and IBB is now €149, but was much higher last year).

Remember that before the current "special offer" on DSL, an engineer install for eircom DSL cost about €350 as well (€200 including connection fee, plus €145 for a modem). And that "special offer" is due to end in a couple of weeks time.

Also remember that the alternative touted in really rural areas is VSAT. Digiweb also do that and the setup cost is €1,500 when you take into account that they FORCE you to buy the Gilat Satmodem for €950 or so See what I mean.

There is an enormous secondary market for slightly used Gilat boxes (Not !) so you are stuck with the thing. Therefore in certain areas a rural dweller now has a choice between

2 Way VSAT . 512/128, €120 a month , Setup €1,500 (incl Vat, dish and satmodem)

or recently (thankfully)

2 Way WISP , 512/128, €40-50 a month Setup €350

Ripwave pointed out that the Up Front cost is not much worse (generally) than a DSL install but there is no self install option which costs c. €150 in the big schmoke so rural dwellers are left with no option but to pay a higher upfront charge.

This higher charge is about a quarter of what they paid until recently, when VSAT was the ONLY option available for Rural BB so against that the WISP option is a hell of a lot cheaper.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

Ive been following Net1s progress closely for months now since they look to be Carrickmacross's only chance for quite a while. They originally proposed to go live around June I think but Eircom scuppered that with excessive backhaul charges so they built their own. This is what I gathered from my monthly whats the delay? phone call.

The install priceing is weird i.e. dearer install on the lower bandwidth options. Its not too bad as said above but its risky for someone like me who likes good gaming pings. Id really like to hear from someone using Net1 regarding pings.

Also heres a little snippet I found interesting on their site...

True Broadband means this speed in BOTH directions, DSL
    technology only offers a faster download speed, while
    uploads are restricted to ISDN rates. The Net1 wireless technology does not have this uploading problem, so a customer on the Net1
    system can send emails at broadband speeds, something
    which is not possible on DSL or Satellite internet access
    systems.
    Net1 upspeeds are typically twice as fast as DSL broadband.

Dont think Ive seen this mentioned about other WISPs.

Furez

PS HITEC bit edited out as they really may be competitive now :).

www.carrickmacross.ie

And to the north (allegedly, you should ring them yourself) lurks the Armagh Monaghan Digital Corridor . Gwan the North East, show the rest of teh country what Ubiquity means.

M

Advertisement