Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Carney.

Options
  • 24-11-2003 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

In one of Last Weeks paper there was an article about the IRFU thinking of approching Brian Carney, the cork winger that play rugby league for Wigan and Great Britain!
    I have watched the two aches tests and he was one of a handfull of players to play well and make an impact for Great Britain! He has blistering pace and a great gain breaker, and with irelands injuries problems for the six nations, hickie, murphy, henderson etc. Ireland need a back that can fill this gap.

From what i have seen of him i think he would be a great asset to the irish team.
    When you see the likes of Jason Robinson, Wendel sailor and Lote Tuqiri making such a great inpact since they changed codes it's hard to see why Brian Carney cant do the same.

does anyone have any thoughts on this? this is just my opinion, what do ye think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

they would have to pay him big money..

personally I would rather they spend that several hundred grand a year on build facilities for small clubs around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

first thing i thought of when i heard about him as well, haven't seem him play yet though. Is the money in league really that much bigger? Good point re: facil though.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

damn it seems he has committed himself to wigan until 2006.
    i don't know if if the money is better or worse in league

carney

personally I would rather they spend that several hundred grand a year on build facilities for small clubs around the country

Good point tHE vAGGABOND, i suppose it would be a short term fix to the problem. It would be better invested in grass-roots rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

well pooh to that then, and he's older than i thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

still though the more world class players we have the better and if he helps us win a six nations or one of the provinces to win the heniken cup then the grass roots will see an up surge in people playing rugby.

wait now and see the upsurge in england in lads playing rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

Originally posted by spanner
    still though the more world class players we have the better and if he helps us win a six nations or one of the provinces to win the heniken cup then the grass roots will see an up surge in people playing rugby.

wait now and see the upsurge in england in lads playing rugby.

Thats Very true alright. english schools and clubs will have a huge upsurge in youngsters wanting to play.
    Ireland need more speedsters and superstars so to speak. with woody gone hickie and murphy out for the next 6 months or so, its up to the likes of B.O.D, o'gara and these guys to deliver. we don't have any real attacking backs, Carney would have given us this option!
    anyway he's committed to league so what can you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Originally posted by xern
    Thats Very true alright. english schools and clubs will have a huge upsurge in youngsters wanting to play.
    Ireland need more speedsters and superstars so to speak. with woody gone hickie and murphy out for the next 6 months or so, its up to the likes of B.O.D, o'gara and these guys to deliver. we don't have any real attacking backs, Carney would have given us this option!
    anyway he's committed to league so what can you do!

still i wish he would play with us,,,, come on brian join union. can you imagine him with munster it might be just what they need in their back line to give them some options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shanners

I think it is a great idea, but only because he switched from union to league originally (he started playing for the Dublin Blues during the summer, and was seen by a scout).

I think a lot of players who start off playing league and switch to union and huge problems getting used to the different styles of play and positioning - for instance, it doesnt matter if a winger in league gets isolated with the ball 2 yards from his own line, he just has to make sure he doesnt get tackled in his own try area. Obviously in Union, this isnt the case.

Advertisement