Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picks for beginner Electric guitar

Options
  • 24-11-2003 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

I'm just about to buy my first electric from Thomann (a Yamaha 112)
    I was just wondering what sort of picks ye'd recommend since I'm just a beginner with electrics.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Go into a guitar shop and buy one of each... seriously.

Personally, I like the Jim Dunlop nylon .88, though a lot of my friends can't stand them and use a harder tortex plec. Try em all, you'll find one you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Depends on the type of music you play, and on your own opinion on what feels best.
    I used the light grey Jim Dunlop ones for ages (Can't remember the guage) when I used to play light strummy stuff. Now as my focus has switched towards lead playin I've started usin the Jim Dunlop Ultex (the semi see-through yellow ones with the rhin on em!) They last for ages and suit me down to the ground.

Sum up: Personal opinion and style will make your descision not us!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I use either Dunlop .88mm, tortex 1mm or Pick Boy 1.5mm for Arpeggios From Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes go into a shop and buy about 20 that are different then after a week choose one that feels best.

that's how i got to like the nylon dunlop .73mm for all round playing and the red tortex ones which i think are .50mm for all round playing too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I use Dunlop Tortex Jazz H3,probably not the best for someone only starting off.

Buy a selection they cost **** all,and try em out, again they cost **** all, AND you are bound to loose at least 11 billion plectrums in your guitar playing life.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

As stated above, you have to find what suits you best.

I'm a Dunlop .88mm man myself, the 'Match Pik' ones in the old style pack of matches.

Anyway, the best pik is the one that's nearest you ! Breaking the corner off a call-card/old-creditcard at 4am at some party and it'll be the greatest pik you've ever used !! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Personally, I like the Jim Dunlop nylon .88, though a lot of my friends can't stand them and use a harder tortex plec. Try em all, you'll find one you like.

i use .46mm Martin&Co picks, and i find them hard enough for anything, how is a .88 NOT hard enough?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

The posts so far are right. Try a number and see. However, although you should probably start thin I would say to you that with time, you should aim towards harder and thicker picks for greater tone and control. You'll find that the control needs to get into your wrist rather than the natural 'flop' of the pick and you'll be all the better for that. I've used a Dunlop 3.00mm 'Stubby' for years now and it's fantastic. I know that sounds like a brick but you can play as gentle or as hard as you want and the control you have is amazing. The type of plastic is really a matter of taste. I've tried similarly sized picks but have disliked the material of some. If you do choose one, stick with it until it's an extension of your fingers. You'll know you have to change it when it feels like you've outgrown it, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

when i started using a pick for bass i was using .73 and that was fin for most anything but i tend to use the black jim dunlop 1mms now.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

I use .50 to .70mm Dunlop Tortexs depending on what sorta mood I'm in, and how close the nearest pick is. The .88 nylon isn't hard at all, and I despise them, they're too floppy and inaccurate for me to use, I need a stiff-ish pick without it being a brick.

I also find that thinner picks give more treble, and thicker ones detract from that, and the softer the pick the less harsh your note will ring, if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Went out and bought a good bunch 'em, mainly thinner ones though.
    Been getting along well with a .46 mm Martin one. Fecked if I know what it's made of but it's one of those brown slightly tranparent fella's.
    Thanks for all the advice lads :)

Advertisement