Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm probably being a bit of a crack pot ...

Options
  • 23-11-2003 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

but when I saw this word

"Volunteerism"

here I cringed.

I'm new here ( and an old fogey ) so I hope I am alone in this.

Does anyone else feel that it sounds like a PC term used to denigrate voluntary work? ( Which is hardly what was intended )

An T

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

:confused: Come Again :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe "Volunteers " is still too political a term to use (note: 1916-1921 was a while back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Yeah, you're going to find alot of rabidly politically correct people all over these boards, mister taoiseach sir.

I think most of them are either in college or have just left college and thus have been taught what the right opinions to have are. Doubtless some people won't actually see what's wrong with that last statement.

Are you an ex-taoiseach by the way? I hope so, because I don't like Bertie Aherne. He's a stuttering gobsh1te and I cringe every time I see him on television with other world leaders trying to pretend like he's one of them. So you're not him are you? If so, I hate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

"Does anyone else feel that it sounds like a PC term used to denigrate voluntary work? ( Which is hardly what was intended )"

can you explain what you mean???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

I think its down to my Old Fogey mindset then.:o

For myself The Capt'ns term of "Volunteers" is much better ( even I find 1916 a bit of a distant memory )

Colin, I am Taoiseach for life :cool: ( or at least as long as I'm let keep the handle )

BTW I am in no way related to the other would be Taoiseach for life one CJH ;)

An T

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

I don't think it's some politically correct word that is supposed to replace some unpolitically correct word. I suppose it has conottations of the spirit behind why volunteers volunteer. I think in this case it is definitely more broad a definition than volunteering for army service. It's about people that volunteer to help out others in the community, give of their time to make a difference to their community.

ColinM even bertie ahern is allowed to post here without personal attacks, were he to post in politics then maybe they would allow personal attacks. ;)

Advertisement