Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Billphones: O2 v. vodafone

• 23-11-2003 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hey, just looking for some advice and views regarding upgrading to a bill phone. I've been an O2 Speakeasy customer for many years and are generally very happy with them. I now want to upgrade my phone and switch to billpay. The 7250i looks great and is withing my pricerange within O2. However, the bill pay options seem to be very bad value particularly compared with vodafone. (I'm comparing plans whcih cost about €50 each a month). So switch to vodafone I hear you cry! But the vodafone range of phones is much narrower and the prices are far more expensive than O2. (The 7250i whcih I want to much is eur299 compared to eur99 with O2).

I want the upgrade beofre X-mas and I'm wary of buying second hand models outdside of the high street dealers. What do you think I should do? (Handset advice and operator advice both welcome)

Thansk for taking the time to read this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

In terms of value, I've always thought O2 was better value for money, and most people I know on Vodafone seem to have higher bills than those on O2 bills. Also, data is more expensive on Vodafone, and as phones are utilising this more often, I think this is an important consideration.

It depends really what is relevant to you: for example, when O2 introduced the Text100 AddOn (100 free texts a month), this basically wiped a tenner off my monthly bill. Nice.

I use the Ten+ tariff, O2 to O2 voice calls are 15c all the time, pretty sweet, most of my friends and family are on O2. Only 10 euro free call value, but you do get a free add on.

And Vodafone have a habit of hiijacking their phones with logos and crappy menu systems.. O2 is less intrusive.

Well this works pretty well for me, I'm sure it depends on what you use your phone for, and the network of the people in your phonebook.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Firstly, I cant imagine that the 7250i would still be 299 if you connected on the Performer package on Vodafone. The prices tend to scale down, the higher the package you go onto. Also, the fact that you are currently an 02 customer would suggest that you are thinking of porting to Vodafone, this would also provide you with an extra discount. [/deep breath]

Before deciding which company to go for, I would suggest trying to figure out when you will most frequently make calls and to what type of numbers. For example, if you are primarily making calls during off peak periods to Vodafone numbers, the perfect tariff plan is Active (300 off peak mins). If you are primarily making calls during peak periods to mainly 02 customers, then a higher O2 package would suit best... Obviously your usage habits are not going to be as simple as that, but try to determine some sort of pattern and indentify the package plans available that suit you best.

Bear in mind that you could select O2 and save up to 200 euro on a phone, but you could end up paying an average of 50 quid extra per month on your bills. Obviously that works both ways..

Dont forget Meteor also, they will surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Dont forget Meteor also, they will surprise you

what? how cr@p they are!!! No surprises there...

Advertisement