Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wah wah pedals

Options
  • 23-11-2003 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

ok i have little or no experience with pedals.
    i would like to buy a wah wah pedal. (is that how you spell it?)

where do i start. what model, price?
    i've been told there's "cry baby" ones for 80 euro.
    are they good??

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Well I love my CryBaby. There are many wahs - CryBaby, Vox, Bad Horsie are some of them. I'd recommend trying a CryBaby or Vox. Your best bet is probably to go into a shop and ask to try some.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

- yes Dunlop and Vox are the most widely used. As the man says, have a go on a few of them, try playing the same riff on each. If you're into metal you might like the Dimebag Darrell crybaby or the Morley Bad Horsie (used by Vai), personally I'm not into those. I used to own a George Dennis one which was pretty good.
    You can often get this type of pedal cheap 2nd hand so look into that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Where in the **** can ya get a Crybaby for 80 euro ? They retail around 120 upto about 350 depeding on the model. Use a Jim Dunlop Crybaby meself,I got a new one just recently my old one was in tatters, lasted me 7 years though - thats value for money.

G'luck

Tom

Crybaby for €90 + €23 delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

ok thanks for all the help.

i wouldn't be into metal at all.
    i just thought i'd get one for christmas.

how important would the models be? is there a big difference in them?

i think i'll go for a "cry baby" or "vox" as i hear their names most often.

thanks all!

• Advertisement

The main difference between Vox and CryBaby is that the Q band is slightly different. The Q band is basically a fancy name for the frequency range of the pedal. Again, I suggest you just try and few to see which you prefer.

thanks once again feylya!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

The Boss V-Wah is supposed to be pretty good. Has COSM sound modelling to emulate the soud of for example: crybaby, Vox, Morley (bad Horsie among others), and a few more. It also won't wear out like most wahs do as it doesn't use a POT to vary the frequency. Total Guitar ***** Best Buy award too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I have a Cry Baby. Does exactly what I want. Had it for 7 years, no trouble. No messing either, just plug it in and away ye go.

so what model should i get Doctor J? and thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

I'd say get the bog standard CryBaby. It's the one I have and I love it. But if you like knob bits, get the 535Q(I think). Used by Joe Satriani amongst others.

well i went for the classic cry baby after all that.

thanks for the help.

Don't forget you can get it modded so it is true bypass (Doesn't suck tone), more volume, mid range, bass and gain. I did mine last night and so far I'm loving it but I haven't really taken it for a test drive yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

I've got both a Boss V-Wah and a Dunlop Standard Cry Baby. There was nothing wrong the Dunlpo but I decided to upgrade to the V-Wah and its deadly. Does a great job of emulating most of the Major manufactures of Wahs. Not to mention a nice thing where ya can make custom wahs. Also has a Eq Boost on it bot alter the pitch of the wah like the Dunlop 535Q. The best thing about it is its noiseless switching. You don't get the click when you turn it on and off. Also have a overdrive setting in it to. Its a very versatile pedal. I've switched to it and I don't plan on going back. But for those Tone purists out there they stick to there classics and theres nothing wrong with them. Theres a reason why they haven't altered the designs of them over the years :) But the only thing I can recomend is go in and try them for urself. And let your own tast guide you....

ok thanks once again.:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

I've owned a Crybaby and currently own a Vox.
    The Vox gives a far clearer, more funky sound...the sweep on it is just much better...to my ear anyway.
    The only thing about it, and most wahs, is the lack of true bypass...which I'll get around to correcting someday, but I like it the way it is anyway.

I'd recommend the Vox.
    The Crybaby ended up with filthy pots aswell, which completely ruined the sound.
    Needed to replace them.
    Pain in the asre....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

you can get it modded so it is true bypass (Doesn't suck tone), more volume, mid range, bass and gain. I did mine last night and so far I'm loving it

was it hard to do? how do you do? much soldering to be done? do you find any great benefit from the ,mod?

About 3 dozens joint to be desoldered and resoldered. It's not hard if you're good with a soldering iron and electronics. Otherwise I'd get someone good to do it. Improvements are exactly what you quoted - wah doesn't suck hi-frequencies and volume when switched off, more volume, mids, bass and gain.

Advertisement