Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nolimits/no caps contracts terms and conditions

Options
  • 20-11-2003 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I have noticed and pointed out on several occassions that any party advertising there narrow band or broadband service as being unlimited or uncapped is in the first instance luring people in to a false sence of security regarding unlimited usage of a service.

However if you read the terms and conditions of the contract there is always a clause that stated that the provider has the right to curtail or reduce service upon giving the user 30 days notice.

However i felt that this contradicts the spirit in which we enter these contracts and give unfair rights to the provider an no recourse to the user.

On this note i did some research and you may find this of interest

http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/contract.cfm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

I think you will find that in such cases the users has the right to break the contract, even if its a 12 month one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

I think you will find that in such cases the users has the right to break the contract, even if its a 12 month one

your mising the point i am making..
    The point is that you take out a contract for unlimited access only to be told later, "where sorry we can no longer offer you the service you paid for"

and hey!? remember no limits!?
    they didnt want to cease the contract they wanted to continue the contract but where kicked off under the same kind of clause in there contract.

Saying that a user has a right to cancel the contract when then problem is that the provider has already decided to do this does not help the user.

the point is..
    We sign up for a service as avertised but we are told this is completely at the discression of the provider, and since i have already payed 350 euro connection fee,
    WHY!? should i be forced to terminate a contract which i signed in good faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

People in here with memerories of the esat "surf no limits" disaster will know that esat used the 30 day get out cluase to ditch its so called "heavy users"

I am on the UTVipXL 180hrs package. If I use 180 a month thats tough for UTV. I suspect if enough users use the full 180 per month they wont be long invoking the 30 day get out of contract clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I'm still on no limits as I use the internet at least 10 hours a month at home.
    Come on guys, you dont expect them to allow you to use their services to the full potential !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond

I am on the UTVipXL 180hrs package. If I use 180 a month thats tough for UTV. I suspect if enough users use the full 180 per month they wont be long invoking the 30 day get out of contract clause.

Of course they will and why shouldn't they? UTV have to pay a per minute charge to eircom for every minute you go over your 180 hours. They're not a charity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by eth0_
    Of course they will and why shouldn't they? UTV have to pay a per minute charge to eircom for every minute you go over your 180 hours. They're not a charity.

FRIACO ports are actually flat-rate, so they do not, at least not directly. However, as the ports are so expensive here (I believe they cost about twice as much as in the UK), they do not want people staying connected too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

D'oh, silly me, what I meant to say is that if everyone stayed on excessively, a lot of people would end up going onto the rollover number, which costs UTV per minute.

Advertisement