Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new of old?

Options
  • 19-11-2003 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

so i'm getting a fender jazz bass but....

should i get a band spanking new mexican one ordered from a shop in dublin - cost about 640euro

or a second hand american for 800euro plus?

pro new shop bass - if there are problems with it i can go to the shop.

pro 2nd hand bass - its american and so probably a superior instrument to the mex.

what'd ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

dar she blows
    !jbassfr.jpg

or could anyone suggest a decent bass forabout 600euro?

saw this in town for under 600 - nice bass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Aria make some great stuff

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Music123 have some great LTD basses. About the Fenders though - the only difference in the American and the Mexican ones is that the Mexican ones are assembled in Mexico but the components are built in California. Now, this may result is slightly lower quality although it has been said that some Mexican Fenders are better than the American ones.

And I depise Aria electric guitars.

arnt LTD metal oriantated?

whats bad about aria? the bass i played was lovely.

• Advertisement

Meh, that's like saying Stratocasters are only for blues! It's Aria guitars that I dislike. I prefer for my guitars to be made from something other than plywood!

yes, but some guitars are just meant for metal

ta20.jpg

Clearly.

c_304_strqm_ESP.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The whole american made Vs Mexican made thing is not as simplistic as is described above. The American series instruments are hand finsihed (you'll notice it on the neck and nut especially) and use better quality hardware ie-pickups, bridges, machine heads, etc - plus you get a lifetime warranty.

For €600 you should be able to find a good quality usa made Fender jazz bass in Buy and sell, possibly a late 80's - early 90's. I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty, if it hasn't fallen apart after a year or two it isn't likely to ever. One thing to be weary of, should you go for a non genereic model (ie - generic being Precision, Jazz, Ric and Musicman) - a lot of these instruments have their own sound and you may not be able to get a jazz bass sound (and if you have a jazz, you know how to get a musicman sound out of it? :D ).

The Jazz bass has a very flexible sound, they're generally built like tanks and won't let you down. They haven' t really changed since 1962, so they must have gotten it right, will we say the same about that LTD or Aria in 40 years? Take your time and get one you like, don't make an impulse buy on another brand. The wait will be worth it.

have ordered a mex jazz. its all i can afford. its powder blue:D

1000 posts :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement