Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daddy's Little Princess This Friday

Options
  • 19-11-2003 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Here's the beef...

DADDY’S LITTLE PRINCESS
    “Better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not.” – Andre Gide

"You saw the light so you came in, you're gonna figgght, but you won't winnn. Until your earrrs start bleedin'... I'm just a pretty boy, whatchyou gonna do about it..." Daddy's Little Princess 'Little Hurricane'. 2 mins, 41 secs. Deadly.

Having rocked their coming-out prom at Whelans during the summer, Daddy’s Little Princess pay a visit to The Village, Dublin this Friday, November 21st '03.

Imagine a noise that is loud, promiscuous, heartbroken, hetero-erotic, homo-superior and gutter fabulous.

Imagine the feral hiss of The Pistols, G ‘n’ R and The Stooges, the dark, decadent opulence of Auntie Ziggy and Uncle Lou, the tenderised melancholy of The Smiths, early Suede and The Buzzcocks.

Imagine the band playing in your head when you wake up in your make up, still drunk, and you feel like dirt but you look fantastic.

Daddy’s Little Princess is that band.

Ask them for some references and they’ll cite Roxy Music’s shoes, Rod Stewart’s hair, Jane’s Addiction’s trousers, The Who’s volume, John Lydon’s wit, Kate Moss’s eyes, Paul Simenon’s cheekbones and the tenderness of Marvin Gaye.
    If they were an actress they’d be Julie Christie directed by Peter Greenaway.

There’s singer Enda, whose phrasing veers between sluttish yelp and Bowie baritone. There’s Pete, the guitarist with the pinstripe jacket and cubist Faces shag cut. There’s Kieran, the other guitarist, the one who dresses like a pimp. Plays like one too. These two riff off each other like Ronson and Jones, and in their fancier moments try on some twin-lead Thin Lizzy. Then there’s Shaggy the bass player; he don’t say much. Drummer Dara don’t say much either, but even the dogs in the street know they can hold down a dirty groove.

Songs like ‘Dyna-Rod Man’ (“I fell in love with the man in the Dyna-Rod van / ’Cos I know he can deal with my . . . ****!”), ‘Liquid Love’ and ‘My Addiction’ are torrid triple-X home movies distinguished by catty asides and ostentatious slabs of noise.

Other songs like ‘Darkest Day’ are mini-musicals that want to sleep with their fathers, murder their mothers and wander the city at night secretly longing to be held like babies.

Awww . . .

Tickets for The Village gig this Friday are €12 (inc. booking fee) are on sale now from Road, Soundcellar and usual outlets.

Advertisement