Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text Messaging

Options
  • 17-11-2003 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi. I'm doing a research project in college about text messaging as a form of communication. I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions and give me you're opinions on a number of topics.

1. Do you save texts on your phone? If so for what reason?

2. Do you use text abbreviations? If not why not?

3. Do you ever get text junk mail?

4. Do you think text messaging is a reliable form of communication?

5. Do you think text messaging can get addictive?

That's it. Unless there's anything else text related youd like to talk about. Thank you kindly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

1) Occasionally - if it's something nice from my girlfriend
    2) No - never. I just don't like them.
    3) Yes, far too bloody often.
    4) Yes
    5) Not really. No more than any other modern form of communicating.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

1. I only save one's that mean something to me and I want to save for future reference,.
    2. Oh god no, hate the bástards, I can't stand when people text me with that drivel.
    3. Nope
    4. Indeed it is, except if you are with meteor ;)
    5. Hardly, I text copiously, but i also ring people alot, it's just easier sometimes to text.

Hope that helped.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

1. Yes, if it's of importance to me ;)

2. No, it's very irritating and no big job to write the full words with predictive text

3. Too many "free" weekend breaks and holidays

4. Yea, handy alright

5. Not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

1. I used to, for no real reason, but now I delete them all (because I was fed up of getting a full inbox message. Though my new phone can store 250 message as far as I remember. Just a habit).

2. Never use them - they make a message incoherent, and have been made obsolete by predictive text.

3. Never

4. Yes - as long as you've delivery reports turned on

5. I wouldn't think so, but I know a couple of people that seem like they're addicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

yes - mainly because i'm too lazy to delete them - although i go for a big purge every few weeks - although there are one or two sentimental ones i've kept :rolleyes: yes i know that's sad...

no - predictive text (T9) does the job grand - and being old(er) it would take me longer to work out the short version than just spell it out 'longhand' :)

only once as far as i can recall (from the Carphone Warehouse :mad: )

to a certain degree - would be hesitant to incorporate it in a business critical situation - experienced cross network delays / internal network delays / multiple duplicates... - but in a non critical environment it would be ok

no - at the cost of sending <160 characters of text not for me

That's it. Unless there's anything else text related youd like to talk about.

it will be interesting to see how the operators handle Instant Messaging initiatives like the Wireless Village http://www.openmobilealliance.org/WirelessVillage/

some of the handsets i use can handle web IM (like MSN / Yahoo) and have found it a great way to keep in touch with some contacts - cheaper than SMSing internationally too
    e.g. IM+ http://www.shapeservices.de/eng/im/

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Yes if they mean something.

No I find it annoying and sometimes the phone gets it wrong making it more annoying.

Nope.

Not as reliable as making a call, as sometimes texts get delayed.

Yes sometimes you just have to answer people and this can last all day.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

1. Sometimes if it's funny or important
    2: Yes, if I'm stuck for space, and convenience.
    3: Rarely
    4: No, especially international texts
    5: No.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If its important or the info in it is useful.

rarely - u for you and ur for your is about it.

Nope.

Yes very much so.

Certainly..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yeah over 700 messages in my inbox. Way too much effort to delete them all. They take up very little space relative to photos.

No. Predictive text is much easier to use. No confusion.

Very Rarely.

It needs to beome more reliable esp. delivery reports.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I just don't bother deleting them until my phone starts warning me that its SMS memory is nearly full.

No way, I hate them. Most phones these days have T9 predictive text input anyways.

Occasionally.

With delivery reports turned on, yes i do as you can tell when/if your message was received.

No. I can think of more interesting things :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you save texts on your phone? If so for what reason?
    Like Stephen, I tend not to delete texts until the phone tells me it's full, or I'm just bored. Any texts I do save, tend to have useful information in them (addresses, appointment times etc), so I keep them until I can write it down somewhere.

Do you use text abbreviations? If not why not?
    Nope. Easier to use predictive text. It also saves any misunderstanding.

Do you ever get text junk mail?
    Sometimes.

Do you think text messaging is a reliable form of communication?
    Useful - Yes. Reliable - No.

Do you think text messaging can get addictive?
    Probably. If I see a text conversation going past 2 texts, or I have something pretty detailed to say, I'll always ring the person. texting back and forth gives me a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Yep, usually for blackmail purposes ;)

No. childish and theres no guarantee the other person knows the abbreviation.

very rarely.

No, way too easy to get your wires crossed and misunderstand texts due to people keeping the words used to a minimum.

It can, but I prefer to ring people if its something important or if you want a long conversation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

1. No, whats the point? its the one thing everyone looks at now when they have your phone, so if yea don't have them you'll get it back off them right away

2. Not really, can't be arsed, would prob spend more time thinking of them as I'm writing, though I I need though last few letters at the end of the text I would at times

3. Only got it about 5 times?

4. Yes, just turn on delivery reports, though I think its a slower form of communication, people mightn't read texts, yea can't beat ringing

5. I'm not addicted, but I know people who would rob numbers out of your phone and start texting those people because they need someone to text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Duritz

1. I'm afraid i have let 400+ messages build up on my phone...i can't find the delete all button...

2. Yeah, my T9 has alot of them in there now, just stuff like "wud" instead of "would", "cud" instead of "could" and so on.

3. Yeah, one bird keeps sending me those chain text messages, its really annoying.

4. I wouldnt allow my life to depend upon it, but ive never had major problems with it. I don't like how expensive it is.

5. Yeah it can, but those days are gone in my opinion. When texting first became popular ya couldnt leave the phone down, now its everyday...nothing special really...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

1. I save funny texts or important ones, other wise they are emptied with the others at the end of the day.

2. No I hate it

3. they are getting way to frequent.

4. I ring more than text, But its dead handy if you are in the pub or in public places.

5. for some maybe. I don't find it in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

1)hold them till the phone is full, then delete all, only because its less effort

2)never, i hate them so much

3)never!

4)well you can be sure if the message got delivered, but words can be mispelled, things taken up wrong ect

5)a bit! i know one fella who was spending over 200 euro a mounth on texts, luckily he was loaded,but he would often send messages with just"hi" or "okay", what i do is never send a message without using all 160 characters, that takes a lot of the fun out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

1 No

2 No, it's lazy and childish, and correct grammar and punctutaion is a must also. I can't understand why there are so many twits who can't get their head around predictive text :rolleyes:

3 No

4 Yes

5 No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Do you save texts on your phone? If so for what reason?
    Only if they contain important details e.g names and addresses or notes I've inputted myself. Most of my texts consist of email notifications from Vodafone mail which I purge about once a week.

Do you use text abbreviations? If not why not?
    I use abbreviations sparingly if I'm writing a text that is in danger of exceeding 160 characters. Just simple things like 'u'. Otherwise I avoid them.

Do you ever get text junk mail?
    Just one from the Carphone Warehouse.

Do you think text messaging is a reliable form of communication?
    For informal communications yes, but I wouldn't trust it for anything extremely important.

Do you think text messaging can get addictive?
    Not for me. I only send about four or five text messages per month and most of those go via the web. Mobile web access (not wap) is my main vice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Nope.

Sometimes, if i'm just going over 160 chars. predictive text is just so much handier.

Rarely,

Yup, it's short and to the point

Yes, definitely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Only ever save texts that from friends or boyfriends that are sentimental

Hardly ever, because its annoying, hard to read and takes more time than writing full words when using predictive text.

Hardly ever, maybe a couple of times in 3 years. Its not something I particularly mind as long as its not very common occurence.

Its fairly reliable, I use delivery reports as well, so if I don't get a report I can resend the message or give them a call. Its not a technology I would use in critical situations though, because texts do disappear and can have a long latency.

Yes especially for kids. Its like chatting on the internet but costs a lot more money. I'm not too worried about getting addicted to it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yep, for that warm fuzzy feeling...

i try not to as much as possible, keep the brain fresh & all that.

not recently, i was swamped with the crap last summer.

definitely, 4 years of using it & it's never let me down.

not really, only as much as chatting on an im or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭Stark

. Do you save texts on your phone? If so for what reason?

I save good ones these days, now that I've a nokia 7650 that can hold loads of the things. my old phone stored them on the sim and could only hold 25 at a time (it was a ready to go sim).

predictive text is handier, but I will use them if I'm stuck for room.

sometimes.

yes.

yes.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

1. Do you save texts on your phone? If so for what reason? Only if they are funny, not jokes just messing ones from my mates

2. Do you use text abbreviations? If not why not? yes when i run out of space in the txt, im too cheap to send the extra text if i can get away with it

3. Do you ever get text junk mail? yes annoying

4. Do you think text messaging is a reliable form of communication? yes not very secure id say tho

5. Do you think text messaging can get addictive? no i dont wake up in a cold sweat needing that extra txt hit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I used to save ones that made me smile, but not any more.

Not unless I need space. It's easier to write the full word, and it looks terrible when you abbreviate. Sometimes I use them if I run out of space in a text, I go back and shorten some words, or remove spaces after full stops or whatever, but I don't like when people use them the whole time. I hate when people send entire texts in CAPS, too.

Only two ever I think. Both were after I put my phone number down on lists in college.

Not as reliable as a call, but I have delivery reports switched on so it's not too bad. I don't think I've ever said anything critically important in a text, though.

No, not addictive. But sometimes texts can go back and forth between people for hours until someone just has to stop replying. It's cheaper just calling someone instead of having a text conversation involving 5 or 6 text messages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement