Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ryan adams olympia last nite

Options
  • 17-11-2003 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭

Was anyone at ryan adams in the olympia last nite??

Have to say, I really have mixed feelings about this one. His new stuff was top notch live, very punk . However, a 70 minute set with no older songs just is'nt good enough for a €30 ticket. What does anyone else think??

p.s. Does anyone have a setlist??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jordanf1

Agreed.

He should of thrown in a few of the older songs. Very poor value for money. A lot of very disappointed fans in Dublin!!
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You pays yer money, you takes yer chances.

No musician is obliged to roll out a Greatest Hits set just to keep punters happy. You paid to see Ryan Adams perform. It was Ryan Adams. He played his music to you. Where's the problem?

I was quite impressed, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Don't get me wrong, I was impressed as well, and I can also see why he did it (it is the rock n roll tour after all, if you wanted to hear songs from gold you should have caught him a year ago) However, it's still a bit unfair on the majority of the crowd, who were probably more familiar with his older stuff, after all the album is only a couple of weeks old and a lot of people probably have'nt fully digested it yet. I think he could have made a great gig legendary by finishing up with at least one old song (perhaps the sublime nobody girl), and everyone would have went home happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

- I wasn;t at the gig but saw him before in the Shelter a couple of years ago, and he did a similar thing there. Towards the end he releuctantly played a few tracks off Heartbreaker, but otherwise the rest of the set were new songs, none of which were released in the end. I think its better that way, at least you know next time you go see him you won;t get the saem show as last time, which can;t be said for many bands.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PersonalJesus

He was class. Id say if you wanted to hear music of gold you should have seen him on the gold tour. And he is an artist with such a wealth of material that he could play whatever he wanted and still not please the crowd.

Personally im happy that i saw one side of a very diversxe artist.

Oh and it so isnt a punky album its more 80's rock mixed with the smiths and early u2. so not a easy one to describe.

but then again it is his worst/my least favourite album to date. but love is hell is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Wasn't at it, saw him last year when he played all his great songs. I feel sorry for anyone who went to that gig Sunday night, I think it was just damn right selfish not throwing in even one of his older tunes. Cos lets be honest I've had a couple of listens to Rock N' Roll and its no great shakes. On top of that I hear he played for only and hour and a quarter. Ok concerts can be hit and miss but an encore of some of the well known ones wouldn't have hurt you Ryan would it. The setlist can be found on the Ryan Adams message board.

Anyone hear the interview with Tom Dunne last night?

Sounds like we wouldn't get to hear any of the Gold stuff live again. He seemed to suggest that we was tired of the Gold album. What a pity!

The setlist can be found on the Ryan Adams message board

Where is this??? It's not on his site

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PersonalJesus

well gold is now technically 3 albums (proper) ago for him. fair enuff he's got sick of it. though saying that, it took him 2 years to play stuff of hearbreaker again as he says the stuff that he really likes is too hard emotionally to play. heard it on this 50 min interview on an american radio station. Npr i think you call it.

But then again have you hear love is hell. its really very good and in my opinion should have been released as a proper album. Damn record companies.

If you wanna hear greatist hits live by an artist go buy a couple of bootlegs and stay at home. if you wanna see something with spark go see them live. even on a 'bad day' there only doing what tehy feel they want to do. they dont have to play to please the crowd and damn right too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Sorry just caught this thread and probably out of place, But does anybody know if hes playing again live in dublin soon. A friend just suggested him to me, and I really like his style.

• Advertisement

I can't imagine him playing again in the short term (6 months) - perhaps a year. hopefully!

But if you will like the show depends on what "style" you have been introduced to. The new album 'rock n roll' is very very different from Gold and Heartbreaker. But buy it and make you own mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Only have heartbreak.

Petsounds Ryan Adams interview aired on Monday night is here

cheers comet

And for those who can't listen to that on the net for whatever reason, the interview is being repeated tonight after 8 on PetSounds.

Advertisement