Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

same problems. any help/advice?

Options
  • 17-11-2003 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi me again

I recently (8 months ago) bought a new Epiphone Les Paul guitar.
    I’m having trouble with tuning it.

When I tune my guitar with an electric tuner, it sounds out of tune.
    The 3rd/G string causes all the problems.
    If I tune it to the 4th/D string, (fretting D on 5th fret) it sounds way out compared to the 2nd/B string.
    If I tune it to the 2nd/B string, (fretting G on 4th fret) it sounds way out compared to the4th/D string.
    This happens even when I check that the 4th/D string is in tune with the 2nd/B string.
    it's so frustrating!

should this be happening even though i bought it new?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Sounds like an intonation problem, or perhaps the strings are old.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

hey this is a pretty common problem its definitely the intonation id say. With a fender its pretty easy to fix cos you just need to adjust the screws but with a les paul your gonna have to go to a shop like musician inc or wherever u bought it cos hopefully theyll do it for free. The nut may need to be filed down and the bridge raised or lowered a little maybe, but i really wouldnt recomend doing these yourself. Its no big deal and happens alot with new les pauls, even real ones(no offence to the epiphone boys:) my friend had a similar problem with the same string on a brand new gibson lp so it shouldnt cost u much, if anything at all to get fixed.

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You can adjust the intonation on that guitar with just a screw driver, but not very much, hopefully just enough to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Have a look at this post for links to guitar set up and intonation.

If you have a capo, put it on the first fret and then tune and play. Is it out of tune then? If not, it would point to the nut being poorly cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

ok thanks guys.
    Back to 'perfect pitch' i go.

i was confused as to how the G string could be in tune
    when played open and out of tune on the second fret.

thanks for the help.
    i'll let you know how i get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement