Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOTR: The Battle for middle Earth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Could be a decent enough game, doubt it will be anything new or spectacular, but definately worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Wow, it looks absolutely astounding!

Definetly on my 'To-do' list now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Agent7249

For the fact its going to be along the line of long battles (something seen in C&C: TS), good graphics. Based off the films, and tbh keeping in line with the appearence of scale unlike another strategy rts I'll not mention. Anyway twill be the first but hopefully not the last (i just hope they come up with more stuff) rts based off lotr which will keep in line with the scale. Twill really only be for those who followed the storyline and got an interest in it.

This game has some serious potention in campaign..... *dribble* helmsdeep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

When i first heard about this game i thought it was going to be similar to Medieval total war style gameplay. Im dissapointed to hear its based on the C&C engine, a game i found very pretty but ultimately pointless. Having said that TBFMEarth does look impressive so i will be patient with my critiscism.

For those of you who cant wait till summer 2004, I have Medieval total war and Stronghold maps inspired by LOTR. Feel free to pm me your e-mail address and i'll send them right on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

just cos they use the engine (do they? its amde by EA but that dont mean they use the engine) doesnt mean the game will feel or play the same. eg UT2K3 and Americas Army use the same engine. Not alike at all :)

The engine basically means the graphics part of it, it has nothing to do with the actual gameplay, unless of course the EA team are going to give the infantry machien guns and tanks, and missile type weapons, the structure system will be different as they can basically be mashed away, while in C&C you had to destroy them. I'd say they would considering that it will be melee type weapons such as axes/swords, there is one thing for certain, it will be different than how generals played, If they use the normal INI coding for TBFME as they do in C&C generals then it will become as modable as a C&C.

One great example of how this was seen was Quake 3's engine being used in MOHAA, I'm not sure about how different RTCW was from Quake 3 but that also uses the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Played the demo and it just left me with a been there and done that feeling. The gfx while nice just dont capture the feeling of LoTR. The control system is far to clumbersome and the units are far to uninspired.

This game is far to much like WC3 for my tastes tho not nearly as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sweep_101

If it plays as good as it looks it should live up to its potential.Shame they didn't use the Medieval Total war engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Smeg

The screenies look good, but then so does most screenies released before a game ever comes out. From even looking at the game I have a bad feeling about the control system.......It just seems like it will be nearly impossible to have good control over your armies!

I'll hold off, but tbh I don't think it's a game I would bother with. I'm a hugh fan of the book's and films but I think i'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement

ehm venom, thats not tbfme, thats wotr :rolleyes: .

Its being made by some of the c&c:g team so I'd say the controls will be quite suitable for gaming :), ah the wonders of C&C hehe controls at ease

For a game like LotR you want a control system like AoE, so you can move your huge battalions of orc's in proper formation etc, big battles just arent right without formations :dunno:

going by hte trailer, there will be formations but it will break up when in battles, as formations usually do unless its archers

Something like Rise of Nations formations?

Didnt like that kind of formation at all, unless of course they have the 'stand ground' etc (ie: AoE) to let them actually defend archers.

Rise of nations formations were terrible, Can only hope that they dont turn out liek that in this game, have a look at the trailer though, you'll be able to deciefer the movements, :dunno: . Just gonna have to wait until there is a bit more news about it.

Advertisement