Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love is.....

Options
  • 13-11-2003 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently the part of your brain involved in initial stages of love/romance in a relationship are those associated with motivation and reward. Oddly enough they are the same regions involved in eating a bar of chocolate!

The parts of the brain that deal with emotion aren't activated until the relationship has matured.

Puts a whole new perspective on "Only being after one thing" and it looks like all those stupid chocolate ads may actually be right after all!

Article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Thank you syke you've helped me prove a point :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Amz
    Thank you syke you've helped me prove a point :D

Hrmm, whats that Amz?

Remember, they used 7 males and 10 females in the study, so it applies to women too ya know!!!

Oh yes I know, it was for an argument about love and it's existance and how it's different for everyone so is really undefineable...

I'm a cynic so these sorts of studies make me happy :D

I need chocolate...

Originally posted by Amz

I need chocolate...

We've no chocolate, have the first 5 weeks of a relationship instead, apparently it tastes the same!

/me scoffs a milkybar

Wow that's the longest relationship I've ever had!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Does this mean hopeless romantics are obsolete then?

Bugger.

/me wanders off to gaze longingly at teh moon... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

You'd think they'd need to use more than 17 people...

Originally posted by simu
    You'd think they'd need to use more than 17 people...

Not really as they are using a working in vivo system. So long as their slection process was random, the odds of all those 17 people being any different from the rest of the population are great.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Do we have any stats on the amount of teenage/early 20s relationships that break up after 5 to 7 weeks?

Also, how does something like this fit into the theory of evolution? Would you hypothesise that 5 weeks of lust makes it most likely that you'll have a successful conception while minimising the disruption to the normal activities of hunting/gathering? :)

Originally posted by ecksor
    Do we have any stats on the amount of teenage/early 20s relationships that break up after 5 to 7 weeks?

LOL
    Originally posted by ecksor
    Also, how does something like this fit into the theory of evolution? Would you hypothesise that 5 weeks of lust makes it most likely that you'll have a successful conception while minimising the disruption to the normal activities of hunting/gathering? :)

I dunno, we're supposedly monogomous by nature. Maybe its down to sizing up how fit a mate for producing viable offspring your partner is. Really good question but I dunno if anyone understands the brain enough to know what to make of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'll happily donate my time to a research effort if you can get an interested group of fit young females

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by syke
    I dunno, we're supposedly monogomous by nature. Maybe its down to sizing up how fit a mate for producing viable offspring your partner is. Really good question but I dunno if anyone understands the brain enough to know what to make of it all.

Higgamus hoggamus
    women are monogamous
    hoggamus, higgamus
    men are polygamous

variously attributed to William
    James, Ogden Nash and Dorothy Parker

Male Humans would lie between Chimps(poly) and Gorillas(mono) in terms of male anatomy..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIR it's the phenylalanine (SP) in chocolate that gives the main love buzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Aren't some people allergic to that?

Poor sods...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

I'll happily donate my time to a research effort if you can get an interested group of fit young females

Ahahahahaha ;) Seeing how Chocolate is my sin....and sex is a great deal of fun....Hummmmmmm

/me goes off to think about donating herself to science....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

so licking chocolate of a loved one is a double whammy? woohoo!

erhmmm....maybe I should narrow down the "loved one" part here.........

Advertisement