Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to service/repair a bike in Dublin

Options
  • 13-11-2003 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, not sure where else it should go as there is no cycle forum (yes I know there is a suggestion in there already).

Anyway, I have an old bog standard mountain bike but it's badly in need of a service and some parts replaced, e.g. the rear tyre. Does anyone know of a place in Dublin, preferably in Tallaght that will take a bike in for service and fix it up so that the gears/brakes/wheels all work?

Also, any idea of what kind of proce we're talking about.
    1. The work that needs to be done is to replace the rear tyre (thread bare doesn't begin to describe it)
    2. Sort out the gears, only a fraction of the 18 gears work without some form of encouragement.
    3. Brakes need to be adjusted.
    4. The front cogs (attched to the pedals) don't seem to be aligned correctly.

Would it be cheaper to just buy a new bike?

Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

Bring it to Eurocycles on the Long-Mile Road. It's not too far from Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

try hamming the cogs u say there not alined i assune there bent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I'd say your best bet is to buy a book for maybe 15 euro and then stay well clear of the bike shops for the rest of your life. Hell, if there isn't a website that covers basic bike maintainence I'll have to start one myself ...

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/

Not all shops are bad, but a lot of them fleece you on servicing. You ought to be able to buy a tyre and change it yourself at least. Brakes are easy to adjust if you spend some time on them.

It sounds like your bottom bracket is loose (connects the front gears and pedals etc. to the bike frame), depending on how much you care, you could either tighten it up (free) or replace it. Once you know how, gears are easy to fix too, unless they're cheap indexed types, which should never be put on bikes really.

We just got a cycling forum the other day, so perhaps some stickies about shops etc might start to appear there.

Advertisement