Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should we Value Voluntary work?

Options
  • 10-11-2003 7:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭

You can't get paid as a volunteer because you wouldn't be a volunteer if you get money. But there is a great need for volunteers to make a difference to the disadvantaged and the young and old. So it would be to our communities' benefit to have volunteers filling the various gaps in necessary services for people in everything from health to recreation. Could people get a half day from work without losing pay? Should there be awards for a number of years of voluntary service? Should there be extra training for volunteers that could benefit their outlook? It's important to get as many people out there to make a diffierence as possible, but to be true to the spirit of volunteerism should volunteers ask and receive nothing from their voluntary work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I get trained and certified in a variety of different areas, not as a reward but because of the nature of the wok requires training. I think in general Volunteers are there to give not to see what they can get out of it. The sad part from my perspective myself and my collugues put vast amounts of time and effort into our cause but our efforts are rarely even acknowleged even by the upper echelons of our own organization. I'm not saying I want acknowledgement for everything but an occasional thank you wouldn't go a miss.

Congratualtions on becoming MOD BTW.

Ryan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

It is a pity that people in the upper echelons ( alot of them might be paid staff) don't quite realise that it is a special commitment to put in the hours week in week out. When volunteers drop out the people that suffer most don't have a strong voice in creating a comotion. The volunteer has little conventional credibility in terms of income and position even though the responsibility can be quite a lot. Some volunteers can also go on a power trip when they get to be regional secretary or some such position. However the spirit of the people that do put their butt where their ideals are is something special. People who care enough to actually do something to make a difference.

Long live the voluntary spirit.

Thanks R :)

Advertisement