Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fassaroe Air Rifle Open

Options
  • 07-11-2003 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

The Fassaroe Air Rifle Open (fondly referred to as the WAIDAM - We Ain't In Dalkey Any More - open) is being held this weekend in the UCD rifle range in Belfield. While some of the top shooters in Ireland won't be there (they're at the European Airgun Championships in Sweden at the moment), this is traditionally the first competition for the new up-and-coming collegiate shooters from DURC and UCDRC.

Visitors are of course welcome, but I'd recommend you show up for the last detail on Sunday as it tends to be the most interesting time - that'd be 1400 on Sunday. Just remember you'll have to be quiet - it's somewhat like golf, except that we have 1 hour and 45 minutes of concentration instead of a minute or two's concentration followed by a nice walk :D

I'll post photos once I have them developed - assuming my camera doesn't do what it did for the last two competitions and act like it's taken the photo when in fact it hasn't even taken up the blasted film....
    *sigh*
    I need a digital camera :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The first leg of the Fassaroe Air Rifle Open went reasonably
    well this weekend, if a bit under-attended due to both
    influenza affecting half the Wilkinstown shooters, and the
    top shooters being in Sweden for the European Airgun
    Championships.

Nicola Murphy from Wilkinstown took first place with 577,
    well in the lead ahead of Wilkinstown junior Ryan Lynn on 562
    and last year's UCD Rifle Club Captain Emma Lyons on 549.

Notable entries included Daniel Fleming of the PDF who put in
    a personal best of 538 and Nicholas Moran of the US Army who
    shot a 516 in a new record time of 47 minutes.

Full Scores are available
    here.

The next upcoming competition is in two weeks is the DURC Air
    Rifle Open in the UCD rifle range in Belfield.

Okay, first of all sorry for the quality. I'm afraid my camera needs to be thrown in the bin and replaced with a proper digital SLR model...

Anyway, here are the (very fuzzy) photos from the FSC Open...

0001.jpeg

0002.jpeg

Two shots of the UCD range, showing what it's like. It's directly under the water tower in UCD, so this whole space used to be a machinery space, which leads to very odd architecture :)

0004.jpeg

0005.jpeg

Terry Wearan (PDF) shooting on the Sunday morning detail...

0007.jpeg

The sunday morning detail. This is what I mean by a low attendance :D

0013.jpeg

Emma Lyons, last year's UCD captain. Emma came in third overall, and first in her class. She also had the distinction of being one of the only people whose photo library photograph came out reasonably unfuzzy :(
    Stupid camera...

• Advertisement

0015.jpeg

A horribly fuzzy photo of the winners - left to right, we have Nicola Murphy (first in class A), Emma Lyons (first in class B), Dave Cooney (the Fassaroe Sporting Club organiser for the event), Daniel Fleming (first in class C) and Gavin Moloney (first in class D).

Advertisement