Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Article] Arnotts chief's fury at city planners

Options
  • 06-11-2003 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.sbpost.ie/web/DocumentView/did-812932896-pageUrl--2FThe-Newspaper-2FSundays-Paper-2FNews.asp
    Arnotts chief's fury at city planners
    02/11/03 00:00
    By Eamon Quinn, Business Editor

The leading member of the family which owns Arnotts, the largest store in Ireland, has launched a furious attack on Dublin city planners over the mess in the heart of the capital.

Richard Nesbitt said he would consider everything short of a rates strike to bring the traders' complaints to the Dublin authorities.

"We are one of the biggest contributors to rates in Dublin. We are entitled to complain about the value we are getting from it," Nesbitt said.

He said that traffic changes to Pearse Street introduced last week were the latest frustration to hit the city. "If you have the whole city dug up there is no need to introduce new problems.

"You need somebody responsible for between the canals. We understand the need for infrastructural projects. If they had proper planners they would have made a better fist of it," he said.

Nesbitt, who is also a leading barrister, completed a €26 million purchase of the Independent Newspapers headquarters in Middle Abbey Street last week. There are plans to develop one of the largest retail spaces in Ireland and Britain.

Earlier this year he engineered the purchase of the Abbey Street flagship retailer for €280 million by coordinating a buyout plan among 51 family shareholders. Arnotts also owns Boyer's of North Earl

Street, a Grafton Street store in a concessionaire agreement with River Island and a small outlet in Stillorgan.

"Pearse Street changes are being introduced in the middle of the city being dug up.

"We feel very strongly about this. It is difficult to understand the lack of consultation on this with stakeholders. I'd like to see a little bit of coordination. The saddest thing is that nobody is accepting responsibility. There is a series of people doing their best, but they are not being given the opportunity to liase with each other."

Arnotts will be a major beneficiary of the Luas, which is expected to deliver up to 35,000 people a day to the front of its main store.

Owen Keegan, director of traffic and deputy city manager at Dublin City Council, said changes to Pearse Street had improved the flow of traffic. "I can't see why traders object to that." He described as "completely farcical" claims that the street changes had been made without consultation.

"They are losing the plot. Traffic has been very slow this week because the weather has been very bad. When it rains people give out about the Corpo," Keegan said.

As part of the development of Abbey Street, Nesbitt revealed potential plans to build five storeys of retail space on the 175,000 square feet site of the Independent building, which Arnotts bought with the Kelly property group. It could also be developed as a mixed office and retail development.

The development has the potential to link into the Jervis Centre, he said. Arnotts has drawn up a list and is talking to retailers prepared to enter as concessionaires.

Independent will pay "a realistic rent" for the next 18 months before Arnotts and Kelly begin the €25 million development of the site.

"We have been trying to buy it for some time. It was quite an embarrassment of riches having just gone private," Nesbitt said. He said that Arnotts, which sells a large amount of furniture, would compete successfully with Ikea if the Swedish furniture giant were to launch its first Irish store.

After the buyout, Arnotts has about €210 million in debt, with the Nesbitt family having paid €60 million toward the €280 million cost of taking the company private. "We have spread some of the financial

risk. We have arranged banking terms on the same terms as we did for the takeover of Arnotts. We have a very comfortable arrangement with our bankers over ten to 15 years. Anglo Irish is the main provider of finance to us. We are very comfortable with it.

"The €210 million is simple bank borrowing and there is a small slice of that - €20 to €30 million - at a slightly more expensive rate. But we have effectively avoided any serious mezzanine finance because we are fully asset-backed. They are lending money on our security. They can leave us with a good cash flow," Nesbitt said.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"They are losing the plot. Traffic has been very slow this week because the weather has been very bad. When it rains people give out about the Corpo," Keegan said.

That's rich in a country where it rains on average four times a week - nice cover all excuse for the planners methinks..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    That's rich in a country where it rains on average four times a week - nice cover all excuse for the planners methinks..
    Actually Dublin (and Camp, Co. Kerry) is about the driest place in Ireland. Last week saw several days of thunderstorms with more rain in those few days than in the previous 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

"We are one of the biggest contributors to rates in Dublin. We are entitled to complain about the value we are getting from it," Nesbitt said.
    He said that traffic changes to Pearse Street introduced last week were the latest frustration to hit the city. "If you have the whole city dug up there is no need to introduce new problems.

As a fellow stakeholder in Dublin I couldn't agree more. We do not get value by continuing to allow inept traffic planning with next to nothing "consultation" (a small back page ad in a newspaper!) to damage Dublin's economy

Only a moron or a DCC Traffic engineer could imagine that by increasing congestion on Pearse St/Tara St/ The Quay's that it is an improvement to Dublin's economy and traffic flow.

Owen Keegan, director of traffic and deputy city manager at Dublin City Council, said changes to Pearse Street had improved the flow of traffic. "I can't see why traders object to that."

Traders and other business people object to loony statements claiming that the changes have improved traffic flow. If only that was true! If he is that far from reality I would suggest he should consider his position and become differently employed.

In this high crime area a Garda, presumably at the behest of Keego and his fellow travellers , was posted preventing cars travelling via Pearse to College Green both morning and evening. A waste of a Garda's time while there is on street drug dealing all day every day along here.

Interesting to note (according to my sources in Pearse St) that unless there is a Garda on Duty that the vast majority of motorists ignore this ridiculous anti business traffic restriction.

Bee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Yes Dublin would have free flowing traffic if it weren't for the corpo. It's all an evil conspiracy.

Of course Arnotts will be one of the greatest beneficiaries of Luas. Of course they don't have to contribute directly to it's cost as the line pre-dates the 2000 Planning Act. That a few rich motorists might be marginally inconvenienced is a silly point.

I heard the other day that it rains all of 4% of the time in Dublin.
    Originally posted by Bee
    this ridiculous anti business traffic restriction.
    You mean pro-safety pro-public transport restriction? I passed the general are several times in the last two weeks and it is noticeable the drop in the number of vehicles going from Pearse Street to Eden(?) Quay via Westmoreland Street, hence making it much safer for perdestrians.

There was also anoticeable drop in the number of cars parked outside Pearse St Garda Station.

• Advertisement

You mean pro-safety pro-public transport restriction?

It's neither pro safety or pro public transport, previously buses or cars could enter or leave the lane to College Green at least 100 metres back from the junction. It has now been shortened to the last few metres. Already there have been more accidents in two weeks than in the last few months due to the moronic design.

I would suggest you talk to my colleagues in St.Vincents about the effects of the new bicycle lanes around the City centre and no I don't mean how safe they are.
    There was also anoticeable drop in the number of cars parked outside Pearse St Garda Station

Are you serious?

My Garda friends are more than happy that they can now triple park their private cars (breaking the law as DCC never dares clamp them!) outside of Pearse St.
    It's all an evil conspiracy.
    Nope! It's sheer lunacy. I suppose they expect to be rewarded with a bench marking increase.

Bee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

( Off topic remark )

In common with other Rate Payers Mr Nesbitt is forced to accept taxation without representation.

Where is the fairness in a system which allows non rate payers to elect members to DCC and does not allow rate payers a vote ?

An T

Originally posted by an_taoiseach
    ( Off topic remark ) In common with other Rate Payers Mr Nesbitt is forced to accept taxation without representation. Where is the fairness in a system which allows non rate payers to elect members to DCC and does not allow rate payers a vote ?
    Would you prefer a Derry style Gerrymander? Sorry Taoiseach, this country is a democracy. Boards is a benevolant dictatorship, anymore trolling and I'll impeach you.

Ceann Comhairle,

May I point out to the house that I'm not a Troll by nature ?

When provoked by the heat of the debate it may seem otherwise to some.:o

As for Derrymandering in Gerry, well perhaps someone can fill me in on what this is.;)

I shall take the matter to the people :D

An T

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As for Derrymandering in Gerry, well perhaps someone can fill me in on what this is.;)
    Troll or not, someone else might be interested in where the phrase came from
    http://college.hmco.com/history/readerscomp/rcah/html/ah_036000_gerrymander.htm

• Advertisement

Sceptre,

Being from The Free State ( and not a Border Fox ) it was more the 'in Derry' aspect that lost me ....

An T

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

The saddest thing is that nobody is accepting responsibility.

That's the point isn't it... there wasn't the effort to keep people informed in advance of what was going on and no one was prepared to stick their neck out politically to ease public fears about the disruptions and convince people to stick with it as it will be worth it in the long run. We got the usual rhetoric but no one putting their position at risk to back this plan, just the usual 'assurances' things will be alright.

Unelected public officials that are simply time servers who continously create blunders resulting in traffic chaos alongside a "mangagement" that blames the weather should be differently employed.

Perhaps at the very least such unrepresentative civil servants should only be allowed a short term of office to allow new blood to come along so we might have some chance of the mess they make being rectified.

Bee

Originally posted by Bee
    Perhaps at the very least such unrepresentative civil servants should only be allowed a short term of office to allow new blood to come along so we might have some chance of the mess they make being rectified.
    City and county managers and first secretaries of government departments are limited to one seven year term in that organisation.

Certain heads of government agencies (e.g. Garda) are limited in the amount of time they can serve.

Private companies provided with vast amounts of public service on their doorstep can reign indefinitely (/me looks at Tony O'Reilly who just sold Independant House to Arnotts). Posters on boards.ie can spout s**** until they are banned.

Posters on boards.ie can spout s**** until they are banned

Touched a raw nerve have we? Girls upset you Victor?

7 years is way too much for a "public servant"

Relevant people who pay these civil servants wages thru' their taxes can lose their jobs, be voted out by their shareholders etc.

Bee

City and county managers and first secretaries of government departments are limited to one seven year term in that organisation.

Rule waived for present Dublin City Manager ?

An T

Rule waived for present Dublin City Manager ?
    I don't know. He had been the SDCC county manager alright, but it is 7 years per organisation (it is to stop people setting up fiefdoms - one general secretary in the Department of Justice in the 1960s had a chat with his minister to tell him who was really in charge and the rules were changed).

Advertisement