Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary Work

Options
  • 06-11-2003 3:20pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭

No money, minimal priveleges and sometimes no thanks. It is tough to do voluntary work and people will often say they wouldn't do that unless they were paid.

The question is why do you do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Why do I do it?, I will give you an example Tuesday night I was teaching marine safety and boat handling to a group late teens and early twenties as I do most tuesdays. I have often thought to myself if they weren't here learning something worthwhile what would they be doing, perhaps getting up to no good while I'm not suggesting any of them would the main reason I do it is for them. there is nothing that gives be more pleasure than bringing a group through a course and watching them ace their exams and get their qualifications.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Why do i do it... take Depression self-help groups. two fold one for my own personal development in understanding people and myself and to make a difference to people that suffer. Mostly the second these days. I have to admit that it is a srtuggle to keep doing it, but if i don't , who will? maybe someone, maybe not but i know that if there is anything that can help people suffering with depression it should be done, so i have to put my butt where my idealism is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by star gazer
    Why do i do it... take Depression self-help groups. two fold one for my own personal development in understanding people and myself and to make a difference to people that suffer. Mostly the second these days. I have to admit that it is a srtuggle to keep doing it, but if i don't , who will? maybe someone, maybe not but i know that if there is anything that can help people suffering with depression it should be done, so i have to put my butt where my idealism is :)

Check Your PMs Star Gazer

Advertisement