Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOMEWORLD 2 multiplayer!

Options
  • 05-11-2003 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

righty, i have given up on single player Homeworld 2 due to the puzzle nature of the missions and have moved on to the multiplayer side...

...a few of us play it regularly in a net cafè in Waterford and its quite fun...(i have a nice large badge collection!)

1 v 1 i'm not to bad....i like to get out there and pester my enemy straight away...I work to harrass he/she enough while i get a destroyer or Battlecruiser over there..

sometimes me and a friend will take on 2 - 3 hard enemies..again very cool..

3 human players and up...gets a little ****ty...and i'll tell you why...when the map starts i auto matically find my neighbours and greet them violently put me in the lead for sheer annoyance yet If i'm playing non-confrontational players its a automatic death trap...while i get ahead ...some other player is flying up the tech tree and suddenly gets 3 BattleCruisers and surprize surprize is no longer confrontational, while i may have most of the ore deposits being mined and might have 1 - 2 battlecruisers (not upgraded yet) if I'm lucky...

It the sly and coy enemy that hangs back, builds up and starts Hyperspacing around ear-raping everyone...

I havent yet figured out how to combat this...I hate the thought of hiding out and rushing a tech tree to make my attack in 30 mins...

and btw imho Gun platform rushes arent worth ****

anybody any thoughts? or have ye gone back to HWC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Yup, I would tend to agree with most of the above. If you can weather an initial assault and keep your research going quickly, you can usually pump out that oh-so-important battlecruiser faster than your enemy. The only "real" defence against a battlecruiser is realistically another battlecruiser (although I must begin experimenting with the scouts EMP attack on battlecruisers).

However, hyperspacing costs money (or more specifically, resources). If you're pursuing an enemy wherever he goes, then there isn't a hope that he's going to have enough resources to pump out a battlecruiser or any capital ship in time, especially if you compromise his resourcing operations (mine layers are especially handy for taking out harvesters - try laying down some mines at choice resource patches).

Gun platform rushes distract the enemy, or if you have a large amount of ion platforms these are particularly effective against frigates. I usually don't bother with them though, because the cost of researching and building this technology is usually better spent elsewhere.

BTW, must really give you another game sometime. We kicked computer ass back at that lan :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I never bother with gun platforms, imo they're shite they don't last pissing time, a waste of recourses. Early rushes are just plain silly, anything less than 10 frigates and support craft isn't going to stand a chance against any half decent player. Battle cruisers kick serious ass but need support, a swarm of covetts can do a lot of damage ;)

Marine/ infiltration frigates are fun, in one of the later missions you're pitted against a swarm of them along with fighters corvetts, destroyers and battle cruisers, i ignored them and focused on the capital ships, a mistake i will not make again :)

meanwhile i did finish the game, its worth playing, better way of learning about your units tbh. ;)

Advertisement