Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dj qbert (and some other noteable gigs)

Options
  • 04-11-2003 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

Some choice gigs for the coming month and a bit...

The legendary qbert plays the village on december 7th.. tix are 20 euro and available from big brother and all city records.

Rodney P & Skitz play this Friday the 7th at the Shelter... 16 europeans...

Supernatural & DJ Noize (world MC and the world DMC champion) rip it up in the village on nov 27th... NOT TO BE MISSED... tix are a measly 17.50.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I remember Supernatural from the Grand Master Flash gig. Was fantastic.
    Especially when he got the people in the front row to hold up something and he freestyled his way across the stage putting each item into the freestyle.
    Legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Wish i lived in dublin :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I seen the first q-bert gig and is without a doubt the best hiphop gig i've ever being to.
    Sound chap aswell who gives cool autographs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Right just got my tix for qbert & supernat gigs and a little correction on the Supernatural price, its only 15! (now definitely not to be missed)... so pissed off that both are int he village tho.. such a terrible venue.

Ugh if i wasnt doing my leaving cert id so try to get to the supernatural gig.... Meh

• Advertisement

they have the leaving cert in novemeber now? whoa.. :)

I go to bruce college... We're expected to do 27 hours of study a week...which i dont do but i cant really explain a trip to dub. We have school on those days though im fairly sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I'm going to Supernatural, the guy's just too good to miss.

I'm trying to get the funds together to go to Q-Bert, but I'm not sure if I can manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Kold
    I go to bruce college... We're expected to do 27 hours of study a week...which i dont do but i cant really explain a trip to dub.

Um isn't Bruce College in Dublin city?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I remember Supernatural from the Grand Master Flash gig. Was fantastic.

I thought he was pants. His rhymes were to predictable and his 'freestyle set' is all the same as his other rhymes.

At rahzel he had a verse that went like...
    "i go to the gym, to get muscle on my arm,
    so no people can do me no harm'. At that concert, i had a red fatfarm hat on, and for the set where he took 'random' material from the croud and 'freestyled' about the stuff he pulled from the croud, he took my hat on then went

"i go to the gym and lift weights with my arm
    All this while i wear a red hat with fatfarm'

Everyone with the exception of the few that copped on went mental.. His rhymes were to inconsistant and he really needs a haircut :)

Back to qbert :)

sweeeeeeeeeet!

Noone knows of a DJ called p-trix? hed kill anyone when it comes to battling!

• Advertisement

Um isn't Bruce College in Dublin city?

and Limerick and Cork. Im in cork

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

qbert is palying this thursday aswell, tickets are 8euro.
    Think its in the villege he's playing also or else its the metro. nearly positive its the metro

only him playing on the 7th.. you sure it ain't the 6th? you mean?

Originally posted by Lenny
    qbert is palying this thursday aswell, tickets are 8euro.
    Think its in the villege he's playing also or else its the metro. nearly positive its the metro

only him playing on the 7th.. you sure it ain't the 6th? you mean?

*consults ticket* aye tis the 6th... dunno where I got the 7th from :)

you sure he's playing this thursday as well? can't be the village anyway.. supernatural and noize are on.

so ehh supernatural was breath-taking as per usual, 3rd time I've seen him, his 3 words and 3mcs bit was getting a bit stale I thought (though still entertaining).. his bit at the end (where ppl hold crap up) was the longest I've seen him doing it, and was truely amazing... dj noize was excellent, played a brief stormer on his own then done backup for supernat... support came from tu-ki (brilliant as always) and man or machine who were rather odd but entertaining in their own unique way i guess, either way decent night for 15euro like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

qbert gig is 8 euros ???

Originally posted by RasTa
    qbert gig is 8 euros ???

20... dunno what lenny was talking about ;)

So ehh anyone else completly disappointed by QBert? he used the same 2 records all night... scratching got boring after 10 minutes.. it was a case of "whoa look at him go, thats deadly" .. "hey wait he's doing it again".. "err ehh again?" .. ended up leaving early, I was led to believe it'd be a 2hr hip-hop set with the odd bit of scratching and some amazing mixing thrown in, not 2 hours of complete and utter scratch wankery... boo... that said Mayhem was excellent as always, same can't be said for the other Choice Cuts DJ, who just seemed to be content to leave records play, either way glad I went, but if he comes again I won't be attending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

The QBert gig was definately the greatest gig I've ever been to...fuc king unbelievable. Everyone I spoke to agreed, QBert just had the audience in a trance for his entire set(except for Kali).

Kali, obviously you got the term 'legendary DJ QBert' from some blurb you read and didn't have a clue what he was about. He's a phuking scratch DJ for christ's sake, the best scratch DJ of all time, in fact. If you don't like 'scratch wankery' then don't come to a QBert gig, jesus.

The gig was amazing, the DJs before QBert weren't great though...just mixing records, boring as phuk...but holy Christ QBert was unstoppable. He used only one turntable the whole night and took challenges from Yogafrog: he had to impress without using the fader (I saw **** I've never imagined was possible during that), beat juggling with drum beats, scratching 'rockit'...and the amazing battle against three Irish DJs(who he slaughtered).

People were just lost for words at what this man could do with one turntable, definately the best beat juggling I've ever seen in my life (with 1 turntable!!!)...and it wasn't gimmicks (as any real hip-hop fan knows) the sounds were so phuking good, he had the crowd befrazzled! Seriously, anybody with a taste for underground, real hip-hop sound knows that QBert is the most innovative DJ of all time...even though EVERYONE I saw (including long-haired rockers) was amazed...

QBert did it again, proving there are no limitations to what can be done with the turntable. He's a true hip-hop pioneer and is creating constant, fresh innovations for one of the greatest elements of the culture: DJing. O_O

Originally posted by Klimseven
    The QBert gig was definately the greatest gig I've ever been to...fuc king unbelievable. Everyone I spoke to agreed, QBert just had the audience in a trance for his entire set(except for Kali).

Kali, obviously you got the term 'legendary DJ QBert' from some blurb you read and didn't have a clue what he was about. He's a phuking scratch DJ for christ's sake, the best scratch DJ of all time, in fact. If you don't like 'scratch wankery' then don't come to a QBert gig, jesus.

err I've two of QBerts releases sitting here on my desk... plus I've watched his DIY dvd twice.. I'm a big fan (as I am of DJ Voda & Greenpeace, but they're more sample-based).. so don't insult my intelligence... but dear god I didn't expect scratch. scratch. scratch. scratch. with the same two records for the whole evening coupled with some bog-standard beats... (dont get me wrong for the first 10-15 minutes I had a huge smile on my face and was genuinely picking my jaw up off the ground at what he was doing) but after that I would have much prefered to see him on two decks myself throwing samples together as his mixing and timing are absolutely phenmomenal... as is he didn't come anywhere near either of the times I've seen Craze in terms of getting everyone moving (where literally ppl were tripping due to the amount of sweat on the dancefloor and at the same time gob-smacked at his mixing speed and control), I mean in terms of crowd-pleasing it was just a demonstration go through the motions showpiece ... wheres the 2hour hip-hop set promised? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Originally posted by Klimseven
    The QBert gig was definately the greatest gig I've ever been to...

[SNIP]

QBert did it again, proving there are no limitations to what can be done with the turntable. He's a true hip-hop pioneer and is creating constant, fresh innovations for one of the greatest elements of the culture: DJing. O_O

What are you? His agent?

It was like the DJ equivalent of Joe Satriani, technically superb, but get's old extremely fast. He can scratch. We get it, already. It should have been billed as a scratching showcase, not a gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

He's always trying to push the boundaries, imo. He was trying something totally new (with the one turntable) and I suppose everyone wasn't going to like it. I thought it sounded good aswell tho...different preferences I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Attreu

Gig was excellent but Kali does have a point this gig was billed as

"1. Qbert will be showcasing a new approach to scratching in his scratch showcase and 2. will also be playing his first Hip Hop club set in over 10 years."

I saw the first part but missed the second.

Anyway what the man did with one turntable and an ipod blew me away.

My only gripes were that he only played for an hour and there was no hip hop club set.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

I actually thought he sold out completely. How many times was the 'Brand new turntable from Vestax' mentioned by the MC as he would point to it on its well lit pedostal. Don't get me wrong the scratching was amazing but he didnt even line up the beat records himself. That in particular annoyed me.

Advertisement