Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to Win the World Cup

Options
  • 02-11-2003 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Ireland v France:
    France have been shadow boxing up to now and they only ever sing when they're winning, watch them get a few yellow cards if we stay ahead by half time.

Ireland v England:
    Revenge is a dish best served cold, England will bottle it because they're own media will bury them with expectation and remember when Johnny Wilkinson threw away (literally) the lions tour to the Aussies when it counted. Ireland will have nothing to lose, and will want revenge for Dublin.

Ireland v New Zealand:
    Again with nothing to lose v's expectation and the arrogance of the All Blacks, look what Wales did, the difference is we won't make as many mistakes as Wales, and NZ have failed to produce when it really counts! France v NZ 1999!!!!!!

Believe!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

And after all that we'd wake up :p

I wouldn't rule out us making the finals, why not like we are one of the best sides in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

We could do it but i wouldn't bet the baby on it!!

we have a great team but if we lose another key player O 'Driscoll or Paul O' Connell
    we are done for!

we have been unlucky with injuries so far and dont quite have the same depth of players as New Zealand or England.

Gwan the Ireland.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

I seriously believed we could win it. Then Murphy couldn't make the squad. Then I thought if things went our way we could do the job. Then Hickie gets sent home. We don't have the strength in depth to cope with losses like that. Their replacements are not world class. Girvan Dempsey has been the worst thing about this irish team. I hope we can find an out and out fullback with better decision making than him for the 6 nations. John Kelly is a great defensive wing and makes some good runs but he is not the cutting edge Hickie is.

We may beat France. We might beat England and New Zealand will be taking us seriously if we do. It's a dream but I think injuries to the top line players have ruined this shot for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Originally posted by henbane
    I seriously believed we could win it. Then Murphy couldn't make the squad. Then I thought if things went our way we could do the job. Then Hickie gets sent home. We don't have the strength in depth to cope with losses like that. Their replacements are not world class. Girvan Dempsey has been the worst thing about this irish team. I hope we can find an out and out fullback with better decision making than him for the 6 nations. John Kelly is a great defensive wing and makes some good runs but he is not the cutting edge Hickie is.

We may beat France. We might beat England and New Zealand will be taking us seriously if we do. It's a dream but I think injuries to the top line players have ruined this shot for us.

id agree with you, the replacements are good but they are not world class, which is what you need to win a world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I would love it if we did, or even got to the Final beating the Tans on the way. But my head says France will beat us. Hickey is a major loss, O' Driscoll hasn't hit top form yet either.

But hey I pray my head will be wrong and I'l be dancing around my sitting room at 9:00am Sunday morning.

Gwan The Irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

We will beat the french, but we not beat the english. They are too strong for us and we are without one of our truely world class players in hickey.

Re: the replacements. Every other country is in the same boat as us in that if they loose two are three keys players we havent got a similar standard replacement. We have to cope though.

Any suggestions on how to beat the english?

I suggest a heavy tackle on wilkinson in the opening couple of minutes. I would love to see the look on Martin johnson face if we beat them in the semi's.

Originally posted by midget lord
    [B

Any suggestions on how to beat the english?
    [/B]

If I said them I would probably get banned!!!!

Ah no semtex never solved anything (I'm joking before anyone go's mad)

I think if we meet the English the key is to move the ball fast. The English like to dictate the game and make it a slow game with loads of rucks. If we could get O'Driscoll and the liek on the ball and keep it moving we might have some chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Originally posted by irish1
    If I said them I would probably get banned!!!!

[intrigued]

whisper so no one can hear you

[/intrigued]

lol I'l leave it to your own imagination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Aindriu

havent a chance against the french, how do you figure we can then go on to be England and on top of all that beat the all blacks?

24hrs it will be all over bar the shouting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

na id say Ireland will win coz there getting stronger and stronger as the tourment goes on losing to Australia by a point if they played like that agian the French will have no Chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Were missing Quinlan too, big loss imo.
    Tony & Guy has been a big dissapointment, but maybe he'll repeat history.
    Well if Ireland win the world cup I dont intend to sober up for about a month anyway so good luck.

I have to say I think England are over-hyped totally if we beat the French we'll beat England but theres no hope against New-Zealand.I always thought it would be France or New-Zealand and I still believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

poor start, but i think Ireland can leave,with a bit of pride after quite a comeback :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

Christ that looked as though it would get embarressing fair olay for pullin it back, Ireland just always look that if Wood does get going they arent goin to, O Connell is gonna find himself in deep **** on of these days if he doesnt stop stamping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement