Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring it on France!

Options
  • 01-11-2003 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

I have to say i am encouraged by that game, o'gara was brilliant with the ball in hand (if not a bit shaky on his kicking game) and he really got the irish back line moving.

France are very beatable if Ireland can repeat that performance, this time with costello playing instead of miller dropping the ball so much!

GWAN IRELAND!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Were you watching a different O'Gara?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conorb56

Wouldn't knocking England out of semi-final be sweeter than beeting them for them grand slam earlier this year!

France have not been tested, and be sure the chariots wheels are wobbling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Should be one hell of a game, you'd have to thing after todays game that Irelands defense should cancel out the french attack which has been pretty good so far in the rwc.

I'd say O'Gara will started he backs became very stagnet when Humphreys was brought and the backs are going to have to be used to their full potential against france.

Oh and I'd like to see Kelly start ahead of Horgan, Horgans bad hands cost us today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    Were you watching a different O'Gara?

Ahh yes a smart arse comment with absolutely no back up whatsoever, how clever of you :).

I think horgan has a lot more to offer the side than john kelly myslef, to be fair to him he didnt drop anything easy and when he ran with the ball he got yards whereas kelly just got tackled on the gain line.

I'd agree with you Horgan has plenty to offer, if you remember before he got injured he was Ireland best winger by a good bit, but he hasn't performed for me in the world cup yet, he seems to have returned to his old ball hogging self, if he passed the ball in front of the posts today, it could have been a different game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I am probably happier now than I would have been if Ireland won and the reason so is that I have money on them to get to the final. If we beat Australia and then France we would have had to face New Zealand and I don't think we had any hope of that. If we now beat france (which we know we obviously can do) then we face England who would be a lot easier than the All Blacks. I just don't know how Ireland are 11-4 to beat France, I don't think France are a lot better, if better at all, than us. Although we now have 3 of our best players injured which is terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I don't think so really eire boy. its much of a muchness really. Wales put up a good fight against the Kiwi's. i thnk the score was like 35-40 something, and wales suck!! I really disappointed that we lost. I dunno what the ref was thinking that one time near the end of the game when ireland had a scrum on there line, and then they were fouling all over the place!! First Gregan came all the way round the scrum offside. Then all there line came offside and then played the ball on the ground and the ref didn't call it for anything!! That was a prime scoring oppurtunity. Also whats with us getting southern hemisphere refs the whole time!! Those refs have subtle differences to the way our refs do it and so we concede far more penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

new zealand 53 - 37. WALES 12 tries in the match !!!! unbeleiveble rugby from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by eireboy
    I am probably happier now than I would have been if Ireland won and the reason so is that I have money on them to get to the final. If we beat Australia and then France we would have had to face New Zealand and I don't think we had any hope of that.

posted before wales match?
    GreenHell
    Oh and I'd like to see Kelly start ahead of Horgan, Horgans bad hands cost us today.
    with Hickie injured horgan and kelly will both play.

Now we really begin to miss geordan :(

Even though Wales put up a good fight against the All Blacks today I would still prefer to play England rather than New Zealand. England also had a scare against Samoa and we know more about Englands style of play.

After every match one of the Irish players always say we didn't play our best. I wonder how good we'd be if we played our best all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

We deserved to win. If we had of won, people would be saying Austrailia will definetely beat France... if we have the beatings of the Aussies in us then we have the beatings of France. And despite the fact we lost, O'Driscoll really started playing the way everyone knows he can today and we absolutely dominated the lineouts and scrums... we might not do it to the same extent against a better French pack but we can still do it. Wood gave the performance of his life and Paul O'Connell played fabulously. It's a shame about Hickie as he has been playing brilliantly so far but we'll manage without him.

Oh, the oddest decision yesterday? The ref claiming that Wood was unbound in that maul... that was insanity.

As has already been said, bring it on France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Can't O'Gara and Humphreys both play, seeing as all our good backs are injured? You'd have two drop-goal threats on the pitch too then, which could get the other team nervy. (I thought we should have done this for the last five minutes against Australia).

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    Can't O'Gara and Humphreys both play, seeing as all our good backs are injured? You'd have two drop-goal threats on the pitch too then, which could get the other team nervy. (I thought we should have done this for the last five minutes against Australia).
    Both players are out halfs so they both can't play in the same 15. If it could have been done I'm sure it would have. There is also great backup for the injured players so ALL the good backs aren't injured.

Well you could play Hummers at 12, like england do with Hodgson sometimes, but at the expense of Maggs I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

you could stick humph at full back, they were experimenting with that in the warm up games, plus with the hickie option gone for kicking an alterantaive clearer might be good, they won't start like this, but they could finish?

They could indeed, I remember them playing Hummers at full back before, against france I think. He wasn't bad to be honest. They always have Paddy Wallace to slip in at full back.

Advertisement