Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem installing Civ3

Options
  • 29-10-2003 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

I've tried installing Civ3 on a friends computer and it stops working after 14 days.

I originally installed it on my laptop and don't remember if there was a registration screen or not. My laptop isn't connected to the web so the copy is definitely not registered.

When installing on the friends computer it comes to registration and then I try and do the print the registration info option. It then quits citing "error 5l".

Tried searching on the web and can't find anything about this.

I haven't tried the patches yet either.
    (No problems with XP home - on my machine anyways)

Anyone know anything? Is it an XP-prof thing? If I d/l and install patches will I be able to install the german version of the expansion pack (and will it work properly)? (different patches for US and international versions)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

umm not sure if i can help cause its that long since i installed it. (xp pro os)
    I've tried installing Civ3 on a friends computer and it stops working after 14 days.
    what error are you getting?

i dont remember registering the game. i seriously doubt you atre required to register it.
    When installing on the friends computer it comes to registration and then I try and do the print the registration info option. It then quits citing "error 5l".
    perhaps this is a windows issue or installer issue and not anything to do with the game itself. try not register .

not much help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

The same error after 14 days.

The registration comes up automatically. There doesn't seem ot be a way not to register. That is why I went for the "I'll print the registration and post it to you" option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

when installing it it should come up to the registration screen.

it then should give you 2 options.

Register now
    or
    Register later.

it might ask your age first.

just never mind it.
    on the civilization 3 c.d there is no c.d keys or anything required so the game can be used anywhere anytime on any computer as many times as you like.

however if you have access to broadband, civilization 3 is now available for download on www.kazaa.com. this program is just like napster but for some files like games i.e civ 3 you pay for some files.

other than that just try re-installing it and using a different location or try minimal installation, or typical or custom installation.

of you need any further help e-mail me or leave a message for me here.

hope you get your problem resolved as this game is sweet.
    you get a load of game play from it.

good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Impurity

you could get in on kazaa but if you have a genuine copy of the game, you shouldn't have to. I also have the game, i never remember having to register it at all, and if im ever given the option, i always say no or cancel so try that. all i can think of.

another thing about civ3, you definitly need the patch to upgrade it, the original game is full of errors I've been playing civ1 since i was about 8 pre-win95 ;-) and i noticed a major error in civ3:

If you use a worker to imporve land around your city, with say irrigation or a mine, that land will never get a resource, ie. if you develop "steam engine" a coal resource gets randonly placed on a few squares on the map but if you already have had your workers do their own thing and improve the land around your city with irrigation and mines etc., no coal will apprear anywhere near you which is a major kick in the balls especially for later resources like aluminium and uranium, but the patches fix this and mant other bugs too.

Advertisement