Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inishowen Broadband project

Options
  • 29-10-2003 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

Local Initiative is currently working with various organisations in an attempt to bring Broadband to Inishowen.

So far, although we are still in the early stages, things are looking surprisingly well. The technology exists that can make this happen, and if there's sufficient demand then there's no reason it shouldn't.

You can find out more on our website, here.

Also, as I've stated before, Local Initiative is a non-profit organisation. As such we're going to need volunteers somewhere down the line. If you think you'd be interested, please get in touch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

I am interested but can wireless offer a cheaper service than flat rate access over say ISDN?

I am disappointed that all we hear of in the North West is the need for more broadband infrastructure and that business is dying on its feet because of lack of Broadband. Well business may be experiencing difficulties but broadband is well down on the lists of reasons why.

Contrary to popular opinion we have the infrastructure needed to run bsuiness in the North West and alot of other advantages as well. Lets start highlighting our advantages before we draw attention to our weaknesses.

RANT OVER

I am interested in looking at the options and so welcome the work of the localintiative group but lets make sure you see the advantages the North West has to offer on that website as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Thanks for the feedback towbar.

To be honest I think I agree with most of what you're saying. Local Initiative has no interest in simply thowing up infrastructure and expecting miracles to happin - we're a community organisation first, and an ISP second.

What we will be concentrating on is creating the service that people in Inishowen will want to connect to - such as providing online space for the promotion of local culture, arts and commerce. We fully recognise both Inishowen's great potential and it's downfalls, beyond that of broadband.

Getting a bit more technical, in my opinion one of the greatest advantages of having a locally run wireless network, as opposed to dial-up or even DSL, is that it creates a local 'intranet'. Think of this as an Inishowen-wide-web, where people in or visitors to the area can communicate and find information on local issues, without the clout of the broader internet.

With regards to price; our service won't necessarily be cheaper than an ISDN flatrate business package, but there are massive benefits; such as vastly improved speed (512kb/s+ versus 128kb/s), 'always-on' connectivity and all the other benefits outlined above.

Although still very much in planning, we will be hoping to offer home packages starting from as little as €30/month, with business packages starting in the region of €80/month.

I feel I've waffled enough for now, but if you have any more questions don't hesitate :)

.Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

so you do you guys have broadband at the moment or is it comming to the inishowen area.

I know that leitrim is currently upgrading its services in relation to broadband at the moment with Carrick and Manorhamilton being chewed up at the moment, i have heard rumors of it being compleated by the end of the year.

Keep us updated

cheers

Nanook

Advertisement