Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Order Of Malta Ambulance Corps

Options
  • 26-10-2003 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Just decided to write this post for anyone lookgin at joining a First Aid organisation.

The Order of Malta Ambulance Corps, where I am a member since 1996, is an organisation dedicated to providing first aid cover and community care. It is also active in the training of members of the public in basic first aid. If you are thinking of a career in pre-hospital, then you shoudl consider joinign here first.

Joining:
    To join, come to you local meeting or call you recruitment officer for details. To be an active member of the corps, you must be over 16 and have a basic first aid cert. On joining a unit, basic training will be provided to you. 10-16 year olds can join Cadet units.

Once you have joined:
    you will be able to go out on duty. Duty ranges from patient transfers to ambulance covr at major events. Some of the events I was personlly involved in recently, Special Olympics (AED Unit), Robbie Williams, Wittness. Sporting events, motorcycle racing, cycling, tae-kwan-do.

Training:
    Initial training in Basic First Aid including Manual Handling and policies of the order.
    Intermediate Aid teaches the use of ambulance corps, o2 therapy and intermediate CPR
    Emergency Medical First Responder teaches a lot.
    The Airway
    Assessment
    Circulation
    Illness and Injury
    Bleeding and Soft Tissue Injuries
    Injuries to Muscles and Bones
    Childbirth
    Infants and Children
    Children and Infants
    Ambulance Operations
    Vital Signs
    Principles and techniques of Splinting
    after that (phew) you have the ability to do the AED operators course, for cardiac arrest patients (CLEAR! :))
    Then the Instructors course, so you can teach others
    Examiners to examine tests.

As you see the order has a VAST trainig course for members. IN my time I have done Foundation, Intermediate, AED operator Adn Instructors Courses. Externally I have completed, and passed the Emergency Medical First Responder course provided in the National Ambulance Trainig school (a GREAT GREAT Course! I recommend ANYONE to do this! http://www.nats.ie/ref16.htm It leads you up to do the PHTLS course, which I am currently waiting on.) and I am also an Americian Heart Association / Irish Heart Foundation Basic Life Support (including Automated External Defibrilator) Course. Anothe rcourse I highly recommend.

Rank Structure:
    The order is a militartry organisation. Ranks are

Volenteer (<== Happily here again!)
    Corporal
    Sergent
    Adjajent
    2nd Lt
    1st Lt
    Captain
    Commander
    and then the higher ranks!

How to get promoted:
    No idea! Up to who the OC likes really. In my unit at least...

ANy more info meeded? PM me

Ian
    EMFR, BLSI, MHI

Advertisement