Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaiman visiting Dublin?

Options
  • 24-10-2003 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭

I heard from Marty Whelan on Open House (no word a lie) a week or two ago that Neil Gaimen is Dublin-bound in the next few weeks. He said that more details would be coming in an upcoming show. However, since I'm not a regular viewer of Open House, I may never know.

Gaimen's website has book signings (presumably for Coraline) scheduled for the UK next month, but no word of irish signings. Anybody know anything else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

What an unfortunate surname...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Who cares if you're one of the best comic writers of the last decade.

It's pronounced Guy-man, btw:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Now this thread is about his visit and asking if anyone is going. If you want to discuss the visit (ie. Attending/not attending or asking for details about the visit) or if you want to discuss his work then do so, but the next person to make any more comments about how his surname sounds unfortunate or sounds gay will be removed from this forum! Keep it on topic relating to the visit not his name!

I've left Simu's post to emphasise this point and as Simu gave the correct pronunciation of his name. So grow up and try to be a bit more mature about this thread! Thanks Simu.

Im not going to see him as I can't get to Dublin and anyway, it would be nearly impossible to meet a celebrity without appearing like a fawning idiot.

I'm collecting the Sandman books at the moment, am up to book 6 - they are so cool, at first it seems a bit weird but then after reading a few you see that Gaiman has created a completely consistent universe.

I noticed that he seems to be collaborating with other ppl on a lot of projects these days - most of which, unfortunately are text rather than graphics-based. For some reason, reading his ideas in text with few visuals dosen't seem as enticing. (I know he dosen't do he art in the comics himself but he gives pretty precise instructions to those who do it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**
    I've left Simu's post to emphasise this point and as Simu gave the correct pronunciation of his name.
    Except that he didn't, it's pronounced Gaym'n, hence his joke that when he went to receive his award from the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation for his positive portrayal of gay and lesbian characters it was the first time he received an ovation for simply pronouncing his own name correctly.

He was in Dublin Bookshop yesterday (2003-11-17) signing copies of The Wolves in the Walls, but unfortunately I only heard of this after the fact which was a pity as I'm getting my daughter a copy for Yule anyway so it would have been nice to get a signed one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

There was a big crowd at it and they were only letting a small number into the reading so unless you were there early you would have been straining to look in the window with the rest of the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Haha, gay man.

Haha, gay man.

Oh wow, how original. How witty. Truly we have found a 21st century Oscar Wilde.

I thought this was a comics, not a very sad joke, board?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Well there was a warning put up already in this thread and because he either didn't read it or decided not to care, he's now on a temp ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

He was in Dublin Bookshop yesterday (2003-11-17) signing copies of The Wolves in the Walls, but unfortunately I only heard of this after the fact which was a pity as I'm getting my daughter a copy for Yule anyway so it would have been nice to get a signed on

Yea he was in Forbidden planet that same day and he sign a selection of books, so you might wanna try in there if your lookin for a signed copy

I've only read Gaiman comics so far. Are his books just as good? Any of ye read them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Yea he has a few books out,
    American Gods
    and
    Neverwhere

being my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

alright saying this with caution *dontbanme!* but did anyone think of asking "If you were a superhero what would you call yourself?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

I've only read Gaiman comics so far. Are his books just as good? Any of ye read them?

yep, i like neverwhere too, havent got round to american gods yet but hear good things from friends.

he did a book with terry pratchett way back there called Good Omens which i like a lot (and not particularly a pratchett fan, so it's the gaiman in there i think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by ThenComesDudley
    Yea he has a few books out,
    American Gods
    and
    Neverwhere

being my favourites

Good Omens (a collaboration between Gaiman and Terry Pratchett) is probably the funniest modern comedy I've ever read.

His children's books are good too (if you're the sort that can read children's books, many adults have a mental block that stops them enjoying them) Coraline is great and The Wolves in the Walls is brilliant, it's like a children's version of The Yellow Wallpaper! I expect plenty of adults to scare themselves silly reading it to children that think it's a fun story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

c'mon, american gods was just a sad attempt at trying to break into writing a novel!! it's not really that good, and seeing as it's Gaiman you'd expect better! the plot was linear and, sorry to be arrogant, but a little predictable. the characters lacked any depth and those goddamn agent names drove me up the wall!! and you could totally see where he was just rehashing tonnes of sandman!!

as for neverwhere, i didn't get past the first chapter 'cause o the blatant rip off of mad hetty from hellblazer etc.

but that's just my humble opinion....
    what ye think o 1602?

"If you were a superhero what would you call yourself?"

Sorry dude, I don't think that would go down well with Gaiman.
    what ye think o 1602?

Looks interesting but I've only flicked through briefly in my local comic store. Annoyingly. I missed the first issue as well.

Advertisement