Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old House Gas Heating setup

Options
  • 24-10-2003 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I recently moved in to a house built in 1916. Its one of those small houses close to the city centre, toilet downstairs etc..

What I cant understand is how the Gas central heating is set up in the house. The Gas meter is literally inside the part of the wall where the pipe comes in. Its is literally sitting on the ground in the sitting room!

The Gas boiler is upstairs in one of the two bedrooms. Its makes a bit of noise so this is hardly ideal. I cant understand why it was placed there instead of downstairs near the kitchen, maybe the bathroom/kitchen extension was not build when the gas was put in.

Anyone know if this is expensive to rectify and does anyone know a good, reliable plumber/gas expert who can do this work ?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First off, what condition are the pipes and valves in?

1. If the pipes are lead it is an instant replace job.

2. The valves and joints may have corroded over time. If the appear loose or corroded, it is an instant replace job.

3. Is it a modern looking boiler? If is it then just get a €50-€70 annual check up done. Otherwise it may need replacement.

4. Does the room with the boiler have adequate, permanent ventilation (i.e. that cannot be closed). This is important, unless you want to find said boiler entering orbit someday or like those two unfortunate women during the week, find yourself gassed.

The configuration may have been due to the building being subdivided into flats.

I suggest you contact Bord Gáis www.bordgais.ie and ask them for their list of recommended fitters. They may want the meter moved outside the house for easy reading.

Also what is the insulation like in the house (easiest way to check is to look in attic or remove a small amount of wall plaster)? For a circa 1916 (not many houses built during the war), you would have solid walls, which would have poor insulation values.

http://content.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/1737963?view=Eircomnet
    Toxicology reports awaited in Dublin deaths
    Friday, 24th October, 2003

Gardaí are awaiting toxicology reports today after the deaths of two women in Dublin yesterday.

Bridget Heffernan who was in her seventies and her daughter Margaret (39) were found dead by a relative in their home at Kirwin Cottages, Stoneybatter yesterday morning.

Bord Gáis said that a preliminary examination of the scene of the deaths showed there was no evidence of a gas leak. A Garda spokeswoman said the deaths are not being treated as suspicious.

It is now thought that a faulty heating system may have caused a buildup of carbon monoxide that led to the women's deaths.

Post mortem have been completed, a Garda spokesman said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

The pipes are copper.

Its just a weird configuration. Meter in sitting room on floor and boiler upstairs in one of the bedrooms! Strange.

Oh yeah, there is no access to the attic. Yep, you heard me right, I cannot access the attic unless I cut a hole in the ceiling upstaris!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by gimpotronitus
    Oh yeah, there is no access to the attic. Yep, you heard me right, I cannot access the attic unless I cut a hole in the ceiling upstaris!
    Uninsulated then. You might end up having to insulate the whole house.

I would also worry as to whether the party wall with you neighbour continues from ceiling height to roof height (a slight security risk).

The ceiling might be made up from hazel (timber) laths, plastered over and might take some effort to cut through.

Not having seen the system, I would contemplate all new plumbing (what’s the wiring like?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Victor

I would also worry as to whether the party wall with you neighbour continues from ceiling height to roof height (a slight security risk).

Just an aside here, if you do go up into the attic, and leave it accessible, chances are there won't be a party wall between your attic and the neighbour(s)

If you leave it that way, when you go to sell the house it is likely that a surveyor will insist on those walls been built up.

As Victor says, not only is there a security risk, there is also a greater fire risk. Case in point being my brother's house in a terraced row, went home one evening to find house reeking of smoke, alarm going off, and dirty great big foot prints starting in the middle of the hall. Turns out the neighbours house four doors down had gone on fire, the Fire Brigade after putting that out had travelled down the row of houses through the attics, to check that the fire hadn't spread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

I lived in a similar type of house (in Harold’s cross, old artisan 2 up 2 down job)

I refurbished the house in its entirety.

There was a dividing wall at either end of the attic; I too had to cut a trapdoor for access in order to fit a cold water supply tank.
    Its also usefull for storage

The boiler can be relocated / or replaced to any outside wall providing there are no obstructions. Modern boilers are almost silent and are extremely compact.

In the house the heating system consisted (originally) of a combi boiler (to heat the rads and to provide hot water). There was no tank in the attic or any hot water storage (cylinder / hotpress). During refurbishment I replaced the heating and plumbing system totally with a smaller boiler and installed the tank in the attic and the cylinder in the rear bedroom.

If you wish you can contact me and we can explore the options available

Contact info@pipersplumbing.com

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Hi Pipers,

Thanks for that. I'll certainly contact you as soon as I get some cash together for this.

thanks.

Advertisement