Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rad not heating up ?

Options
  • 23-10-2003 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Rad in bedroom not heating up in any way (well sometimes).
    I have bled it and it heats up a bit then stops and the infeed pipe is stone cold which leads me to belive the problem is not the rad but the pipes into it ,anyone have same problem before?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Could be someone turned off a valve somewhere else (boiler room, hot press, etc.).

Or you could have silt in the rad that is either slowing or completely stopping the flow. Get large basin. Get lots of old newspapers. Get big wrench an drain rad.

I think there are some radiatior unblocking chemicals on the markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I tried to drain it and when i did ,when it refilled it got half warm then went cold ,the infeed pipe at the bottom was stone cold so i reckon its somfin between actual gas boiler and the rad.

Just no clue how to get it sorted without calling my €1000 a day plumber down to look at it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Is it a pressurised system or gravity feed, you'll know it's pressurised in that it will have one or two vessels on the water line, and a gauge nearby, this could be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Borzoi
    Is it a pressurised system ...
    ... it will have a **pump** ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nah its normal rad 2 pipes one is infeed other cant be outfeed as no other rad is affected (me not plumber btw).

Annoying and really cold in room and thoughts of paying a plumber are killing me :(

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭trazix

Turn off all your other radiators, then switch on your heating system and wait to see if it heats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Not much of a problem with the feed in if you are getting some heat into rad. Sounds like it is either a problem with the outlet or it could be that your rad is full of C**P. It may be worth removing rad from wall and flushing it well outside with a hose.

But FIRST. Check that the outlet valve is open enough. This may involve the use of a wrench or removing the inlet tap and using it on the outlet valve to make sure it is open.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Yeah, definatley check what Cal said...sometimes dodgey plumbers try to "balance" the system and close the outlet valve too much. As a starting point, open it all the way and see what happens....

On one end of the rad you will have a knob that spin's freely and on the other end, the one that you use to open and close the rad. The one that open and closes (should -- if its plumbed properly) be the water inlet, with the other being the outlet.

Basically, pull the knob off of the inlet and also the free spinning knob off of the outlet....then clip the inlet knob onto the outlet valve and open fully...

if it was closed (or almost closed) then that was most likely your problem!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Here's a link that may have some useful info. on heating systems.

http://www.clubi.ie/plumbing-heating/index.htm

And this has some good info too:

http://www.gascentralheatinguk.com/

Maybe a sticky could be set up for useful attachements like this.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

Did you try what Trazix posted ?

If its an airlock in a pipe then that might fix it

An T

Advertisement