Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

total War

Options
  • 20-10-2003 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Has anyone played these games?
    I have the orginal , and i must say its pretty good, thinking about buying medievil total war, has anyone played it, what do they think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

Hi

Medievil totalwar is a great game. if you enjoyed the first total war game you will love this. better game play units etc...

cheers.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I bought Shogun Total War with free Mongol Invasion for €6.99 in Game last week. Seems quite good. I'll definately keep an eye out for Medieval

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Stick with Shogun for now, Medieval is better but only slightly - the one to wait for is Rome Total War - thatll have the sort of impact on todays games that Shogun did when it was released imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

i have both medevil and shogun i think shogun is better due the simplicity of the game medevil has like i dont know 50 maybe more units in the game and the map is so big you could have like 4 fronts to defend and there no cool fmv in the game like :ninja: scence and cool bit at the end in modern day tokyo nothing like that, just a throne room you have won blah.

that siad the siege element is really really cool buy it if you are a fan or the series but shogun rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

I prefer Shogun myself. MTW is too easy imho, once you have naval superiority the game is as a good as over.

• Advertisement

OMG I just checked the RTW site for first time in ages and can't believe its been delayed until "fall 2004" I was expecting this game to be out by christmas :mad:

Might pick up VI, you can be Irish in it right?

Yeah you can be the Irish. You start off with Leinster and Munster but you can quickly drive the Scots out of Ulster - instant peace as well once theyre out of Ireland as you wont have any neighbouring provinces - and grab Connaught from the rebels ( Might be best to ally with Scots when they still have Ulster, invade Connaught with them, let them do the fighting and dying and you get the province and they get their defences weakened) and have the whole Island to yourself, build up in safety behind a fleet and pick off the odd rebelling province in Britain, keep at peace with all the major powers and build up trade until youre ready to wipe out whats left. Only problem is the Irish dont have a whole lot in the way of missle troops and their cavalry aint great either - Kerns are the main staple missle troops and theyre very short range...stick them right behind your spearwall and dont put them on skirmish or theyll fall back before they can hit a thing as their missle range is less than their "enemy is too close, scarper!" range.

Vikings are underwhelming to play against - they never gave me the slightest bit of trouble and didnt seem to be programmed to raid effectively if at all. You might have more fun playing as them rather than against them as they got some nice abilities like being able to leave a province by sea without a port so you can strike one turn, loot and disappear without waiting 4 turns to build a port. Their specific units are quite nice as well.

Viking Invasion does a lot for the Standard MTW campaigns as well, new units added and so on - Danes get a few of the Viking units from VI in the Early period and so on.

The one thing I dont like about MTW is how insanely powerful the Byzantines get every single time. Its just freakily unrealistic how they knock out the the Turks and the Egyptians easily within the Early period , then take over half of Eastern and Central Europe, not to mention the steppes. At least with GA the impact of the Byzantines is reduced as they get less and less points as the game goes on. Still though, in my current campaign Im having to fight back the purple tide on a front stretching from Venice to the Baltic and from the Baltic all the Way to Khazar. And they have litterally thousands of troops....the Golden Horde didnt even make them break sweat:|

My main problem with MTW is civil wars ruining games. Its only ever happened to my king once but every game I have played my main rivals are constantly having civil wars break out when I beat them in a few battles.

I really hope they sort out the seiges in RTW. The videos of castle assaults look incredible, I just hope they actually take place unlike in MTW.

Well Im hoping for a civil war to crack the Byzantines.... My troops are of a much higher quality in terms or armour, valour and weapon bonuses but Ive still lost over a thousand men in the first round of battles! Civil wars are frustrating in that youve got to reconquer territory youve already conquered previously, and other states happily invade and theres not a whole lot you can do about it bar invade first - it can be less damaging in GA campaigns and tbh Im convinced that GA is the only way to play MTW.
    I really hope they sort out the seiges in RTW. The videos of castle assaults look incredible, I just hope they actually take place unlike in MTW.

TBH the one thing Im really hoping they sort out is the strategy level game.... Ive been at war with the english for nearly 50 years since I confined them to Scotland and since then Ive offered them peace deal after peace deal and theyve constantly refused despite my being able to crush whats left of them at any time - any semi-intelligent human player would be begging *me* for a peace deal in their situation, let alone refusing generous offers. Its very frustrating.

Its pretty hard as well to get princesses to marry into your line - you have to micromanage your emissaries to constantly ask again and again for a princesses hand in marraige so as to avoid your royal family ending up as inbred as the Windsors - Ive managed pretty well and the lowest my princes come out with is 4 star command , usually 5-7 but its still ....tedious.

Id like to see - even optionally - the idea of AI commanders. I remember seeing a thread on the Total War forum about how stupid knightly tactics of lining up and charging was and why didnt they try tactics x,y and z and seeing someone explain it very simply that given the extremely poor communication and the division among the forces that tactics had to be pretty simplistic. If you could simulate such communication problems and less than co-operative AI allies in battle it would be more realistic, but it would have to be optional I guess cos it would be very frustrating to have a battle plan foiled because a sub-commander took so long to react to your orders.

Still, Napoleon claimed he lost Waterloo cos if his sub-commanders:|

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I am buying this game. I see from www.totalwar.com they have the expansion pack and the game itself bundled into one game now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

I loved both games, Shogun for it's groundbreakingness and Medieval for it's scope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

and you get to go to war with the pope, what fun :D

Advertisement