Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp GX20 vs. GD87

Options
  • 18-10-2003 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Im gonna be getting one of these phones, but I cant decide which.

Id like a few opinions on what people here would go for.

I hear the GX20 can play videos?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Duritz

Yes, it can record/send/recieve videos.

I look at the GX20 with a bit of a bitter taste, i had a GX10 and hated it. But it is a popular phone so it could have just been me.

Also, i have ordered a 3650 and feel the 3650 is more feature enhanced. It can send/recieve video also. Has expandable memory (the GX20 is limited to 80 pics, xx ringtones, xx sms) so can hold any amount of video/pics/text if u have a big MMC, they are not very expensive.

Also, from my understanding the GX20 doesnt run a Symbian operating system? Phones such as the 3650 (and some sony erricsson i think?) now run an operating system that can be customised no end. There are companies based on programming stuff for this operating system. It is like a mini Windows. Can get GameBoy emulators and so on. 3650 has bluetooth as well as infra red, the GX20 supports infra red only.

The GX20 looks nice, with the color photo type thing on the top. The 3650 might not appeal to your taste.

Either way, this post has been a waste of 10mins because i just realised u narrowed it down to 2 fones, and i spoke of neither.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

GX20 - amazing screen

GD87 - ok - but out over a year and due for replacement (with the improved X70)

if you are looking flexible (i.e. enocde your own etc.) video playback go with the likes of the 3650 (decent built in video player and memory expansion) - also offers major enhancements from a wide variey of applications developed for the Series 60 Symbian as Duritz points out

Originally posted by Duritz
    i had a GX10 and hated it. But it is a popular phone so it could have just been me.

no many people were well unhappy with the handset - it was "over sold" in Vodafone stores above the other Live! handsets so many people left with a GX10 when one of the other two would have suited them much better - it was also Vodafone's first custom job where they got Sharp to implement specific specs (restrictions) for the handset

the last conversation I had about the GX10 being pushed more than the others was from someone who went in looking for a 7650 (as it had Bluetooth and they wanted a Nokia) but was pushed towards the GX10 even though they didn't want it - the Vodafone store staff member even tried to make out that it would cost money every time they sent anything over Bluetooth - crazy situation
    Also, from my understanding the GX20 doesnt run a Symbian operating system? Phones such as the 3650 (and some sony erricsson i think?) now run an operating system that can be customised no end. There are companies based on programming stuff for this operating system.

The GX20 runs Sharp's own system - the 3650 runs Nokia's implementation of Symbian OS called Series 60 which they use in their own handsets and have licensed to the likes of Siemens and Samsung. The SonyEricsson runs a different version of the Sumbian OS with a special interface (UIQ) that allows for pen based input, so far they have implemented it in their P800 smartphone.
    It is like a mini Windows.

ohh!! - you'll have the Symbian camp up in arms with a comparison like that ;) - and the Microsoft Smartphone camp trying their hardest to differentiate themselves from it - Microsoft have their own Smartphone OS which is closer to Windows and it's starting to gain momentum - some info about one of the handsets running it here if yer interested:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104803

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I personally cant stand using the GX10 for more that five minutes. I find the phone is overly complicated to use, hate the overall look of the phone, particularly hate the appearence of the on screen menus. The screeen quality was a big disappointment and when combined with the camera, looked well dodgy.

I had the GD87 for about 6 months in or around the time of launch. Overall, it was not a bad phone but just suffered from some niggly issues that were the eventual cause of me switching back to my 7650. One particular issue was text messaging (pain in the backside) and another was the battery life. The quality of the screen impressed me alot, as well did the quality of some of the photos.

I have not used the GX20 at all yet, just keep missing the oppurtunity is seems. From what I can gather, it seems to be a GX10 with all the problems ironed out and some extra features bolted on. I read previously that the screen quality has been significantly improved. The ability to record short video clips is something I have used alot on my 7650, so I cant say enough about this feature.

If you are restricting yourself to just the GX20 and the GD87, the GX20 is the obvious choice. Thats purely on the basis that it has only been launched recently and offers considerably more features that the now aged GD87. As DubWirelss said already, its also being replaced soon enough.

If you would consider something else, the Series 60 based Nokia handset are the best of the bunch. I have had a 7650 for over a year now and its a very very impressive phone. I am sure the 3650 is just as impressive, if slightly funny looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

My GD87 stopped working this morning. It wont charge anymore. :(

I've tested the charger with a multi-meter, and it seems to be working fine, although its supplying AC instead of DC, which I find surprising.

Has anyone got any idea what might be wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Hey, thanks for the replies.

So I think Ive decided against the GD87, and am now considering the 3650 or the GX20.

I like the GX20 because of its folding action (can prevent screen damage when in pocket etc.)

The 3650 is cheaper, but not by much.

In terms of camera quality and screen quality, which would be the better of the two. (GX20 & 3650)

What about PC connectivety for the two phones? Id want to be able to connect the phone to PC easily (USB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Duritz

I dont know about the GX20, but the 3650 connects via Infra red or Bluetooth. Not very expensive, as far as i know you cant get a cable for the 3650.

For more info you should check out http://www.nokia3650.net , alot of discussion on the phone, helped me make my choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

just a quick question, If io have a midi file on my pc, can i use this as a ringtone on a GX10i.

Can I email it to the phone and the user can then use it, or can i place it on a website and let the user download it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    just a quick question, If io have a midi file on my pc, can i use this as a ringtone on a GX10i.

Can I email it to the phone and the user can then use it, or can i place it on a website and let the user download it?

You can with the 7650 and 3650, dont know about the GX10 but I would doubt it.

In terms of camera quality and screen quality, which would be the better of the two. (GX20 & 3650)

screen the GX20 by a long run - it's the best handset screen you can get on our shores - mainly due to such a high resoution and the new technology they are using [discussed previously here]

picture quality - haven't seen any off handset from a GX 20 - only displayed on the screen - as the external display can double as a flash it is likely to produce better results in dark conditions where most other phone cameras have difficulty in producing decent results

What about PC connectivety for the two phones? Id want to be able to connect the phone to PC easily (USB)

no cable support for the 3650 - only IR and Bluetooth as Duritz points out - i think the GX20 comes with cable in the box?

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

The GX20 doesn't come with the cable in the box, well I didn't get on anyway. I connect mine through IR and its fine. Can xfer images, vid clips and audio.

You can have a resolution of up to 480 x 640 which is prolly best thing about it.

Originally posted by logic
    The GX20 doesn't come with the cable in the box, well I didn't get on anyway. I connect mine through IR and its fine.

thanks - wasn't sure what Voda decided to pack in the box - did you get 2 batteries or just one?

what do you think of the screen quality?

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

just one battery. The screen quality is excellent. I wasn't expecting it to be any different from the older gx models
    but there is a big difference.

I bought it for games mostly as most of the java games
    seem quiet ok but most of the free games out there
    wont work on this model. Its still relatively new so
    I'll have to give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Logic, can you confirm that the GX20 can transfer images, files via the infrared, or do you just do this via a datacable?

Also, can you also transfer java games and ringtones in this way too?

A friend of mine just got one and I have to say the screen and digital camera just blows the hell out of any other phone on the market at the moment. Nothing compares to the quality of the screen and camera - I was highly impressed.

If only they added bluetooth and removable storage medium, the phone would be almost perfect. Still very tempted to get one myself. It's a vast improvement over the GX10/i.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I found out that you can upload & download images & ringtones via infra red using the Handset manager 7.0 (free download) or by a data cable.

Unfortunately you cannot upload/download java games. This feature is locked by Sharp and Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

What was the name of the Space game that used to be on the Gx20?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

🤨.

Advertisement