Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown chord in abracadabra (keyboard).

Options
  • 14-10-2003 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

E7#9 is the third chord in the abracadabra (Steve Miller) chord sequence, but it sounds wrong when I play it. He uses flange on a string / chamber sound.

Can anyone post a "tab" for the chord on the keyboard?

TIA
    merlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

piano.jpg

Because I suck, blue means left, red means left.
    Mspaint rules.

PS. The E on the far right can also be made into a G, if you can reach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Cheers Giblet, I appreciate the effort (and the MSpaint finesse). I had searched the net and got variations that didn't sound right. Thats bang on!

I'm starting to rely less and less on the 'demo' button :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Should there be a G (natural) in there as well as the G#?

i.e. the #9th bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Yeah, that chord is just a major 7th. its the top G that'll give the chord its colour. Definitely play the lower G# as well though. If it doesn't sound right, try some different inversions or different root notes with the chord.

(Why in the world are you learning this song anyway..??!! :p )

lol, it has to be done lads. It's part of a wedding set. I'm afraid I don't understand the #9 bit, could you post the tab as giblet did?

Anyway, I actually like that song :)

• Advertisement

I told him to add the G, did none of you read!

I don't play piano, I just guessed the notes from playing it on guitar :)

Oh right. So move the E on the right up to G#? I'll try it in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

sorry to be pedantic....the tab posted is actually an E7. (an Emaj7 would have a D#)
    The G# does sound odd though doesn't it ? A lot of sheet music (and some tab) is incorrect so you might find that an Eminor7th (basically an E7#9 without the major 3rd) works. It's possible that the sequence uses a G# in the bass while the chords change above it (I'm not near my piano so can't check that)

What's the chord sequence you're using ?

Great track - if that doesn't get 'em up then nothing will.

An Emaj contains a G#

Change the final E to G not G# :)

Here is that chord on guitar.

e|-3 G
    B|-3 D
    G|-1 G#
    D|-2 E
    A|-2 B
    E|-0 E

The sequence I'm using is
    Am, Dm, EM7#9 or whatever you call it.

Giblet, I played that chord on the guitar (0 2 2 1 3 3), and it sounds perfect.

The flange makes it hard to pick out on the cd but that sounds bang on. I'm glad I'm not playing it on the guitar tho :)

He uses flange on the vocals too, which we have on the desk, so fingers crossed, it should turn out well!

The crowd will never know the behind the scenes schenanigans that went on to get this song right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Just put a massive flange on the keyboard sound you are using, then you can play whatever chords you like ! lol

I'm going to a wedding this weekend and I'll be specifically listening to any suspect chords in Steve Miller songs....

lol. Might put it on the vocals too!

Advertisement