Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comic stores - status - availability

• 09-10-2003 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

See!!! And i'd already made the point that story wise the states were well ahead of us.
    Anyway...

I'm one of those lonely bunch that cant get to my beloved othre relams so iv had to rely on easons, and we all know how wide their range is.

marvel really shoudl try going more open to its irish market

<][cE> *Note - I split this thread and put it here because we were getting off topic of the thread it was in, but this is a valid point and a good discussion point*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I like the way things are.
    If its not broken don't fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Originally posted by de5p0i1er
    I like the way things are.
    If its not broken don't fix it.

I think you like to be into comics, because they arent main stream, so you seem cool and alternative. It is quite difficult to get comics in ireland, unless there are dedicated comic/fantasy art shops close to you. The newsagent is the best i can get in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah but to be honest that's really mostly because of demand. Places like Easons stock them because there is always a chance that some kid is going to lift an issue of spiderman over a beano comic or something else. But sometimes that's where it stops. They read one issue and don't read another. I can understand this though as a lot of comics make it difficult to get into them as you need to really have been reading from the start or from the start of a story arc to understand it.

I've seen 3 comic stores go under here in Derry. The first was your typical comic store with some cool stuff and t-shirts/videos thrown in to add flavour, but the guy let too many people put in standing orders and this put him out a fortune. It killed his business. Same with the second one - standing orders killed it. The third wasn't really a comic book store but just had comics. They had standing orders which the left overs pretty much kept their front business going. In the end they decided they were paying more to the guy that organises the comics than they were making on the orders themselves.

Now the latest shop is a good bit better because it seems to carry everything in it - models/videos/clothing/posters and of course comics and graphic novels. It's also a franchise so they can buy comics as well as selling them, and anything in the shop that doesn't get bought gets passed onto some of their larger stores, or main stock dept. The only problem is that they charge a lot more and they pretty much fuck people over when buying comics. I've seen them pay a m8 of mine £5 for about 20 comics, then sell them on for about £2 each. I still order direct from america, but I stop in there any time I want to pick up some spawn figures or any other kind of statues etc.

Originally posted by weemcd
    I think you like to be into comics, because they arent main stream, so you seem cool and alternative. It is quite difficult to get comics in ireland, unless there are dedicated comic/fantasy art shops close to you. The newsagent is the best i can get in town.
    The best I can do is a newsagent too but I just make do with what I got, theres no point complaining about it, if there were more comics on the newsagent shelves they wouldn't sell enough of some titles as most people don't know some of the characters and thats not profitable, they need to make money too.

One question when have any of these Main stream ppl as you call them considered comics cool, most of those ppl in my town are to narrow minded to consider anything but football and drink cool, impressing them isn't worth the effort.

Originally posted by de5p0i1er
    The best I can do is a newsagent too but I just make do with what I got, theres no point complaining about it, if there were more comics on the newsagent shelves they wouldn't sell enough of some titles as most people don't know some of the characters and thats not profitable, they need to make money too.

One question when have any of these Main stream ppl as you call them considered comics cool, most of those ppl in my town are to narrow minded to consider anything but football and drink cool, impressing them isn't worth the effort.

im not up for a spamming session, but there are alot of people into stuff purley becasue others arent, i know too many tossers like that, i clearly misjudged you. so now im like this :(:( sorry like

(wow i apolagised without having a big flame war before hand, and then a threat of banning!!! :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

And congratulations in doing so :D

I think you're right about the minority thing. A lot of people will be into something just so that they can say they're the only one who likes it and then think they have a status all onto themselves.

I got into comics because of the art, but I then loved the stories, which I honestly didn't think I would (consideriing I grew up on Dandy and Beano comics).

When I first saw an issue of a spiderman magazine (UK issue with a compilation of stories) I instantly loved it and kept going back to the same newsagent to find more. I then later found a copy of uncanny X-men in another newsagent and had to then search out a comic book store to be able to get any more copies of it. I think the magazines are a great idea because it gives people 2/3 stories at once, so it can give them a varied choice of what they want to read. However the problem is that newsagents don't generally stock standard US issue comics, which means that people are going to be limited to what they can get.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

There was a newsagents back home (Mullingar) that used to occassionally get US comics (all marvel if I remember correctly) and then when they didn't sell, knocked them down to 25p each. Got a few and was *terribly* confused by the goings on. that was more because of the convoluted plots that ran through X-men and the like - constant referals to previous issues.
    One of the local newsagents gets the Wolverines, X-men and Spiderman comics panini put out as well as 2000Ad (although they haven't got it in the last few weeks). For the rest I've to trapse into town and back.

Originally posted by weemcd
    im not up for a spamming session, but there are alot of people into stuff purley becasue others arent, i know too many tossers like that, i clearly misjudged you. so now im like this :(:( sorry like

(wow i apolagised without having a big flame war before hand, and then a threat of banning!!! :))
    Lets leave it at that and say no more on the subject. :)

:)

Advertisement